AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I searched for other threads dealing with viewing distances from screen but couldn't find an answer to my problem. so here it is:

I just got my 123" (diagonal) Firehawk screen and I will receive my new Marantz vp12s1 projector in a few weeks. According to the way I planned my room, the distance from my couch to the screen will be about 14 feet.

I know It seems pretty close, but even when I go to the movies I like to sit close to the screen. I like being "submerged" by the movie. I think it's the best way to really experience the emotions a movie can deliver.

My question to you though is about seeing the pixels.

I read about the "viewing distance = 2 x screen width" suggestion, but I wonder if that rule is more about a subjective "viewing comfort" or an objective "don't get closer than that or you will see the pixels and the movie will suck, whatever DLP projector you are using".

In your experience, with my pj and my firehawk screen, will I clearly see the pixels from that distance?

Will that be really annoying and affect the image quality?

Thanks a lot for sharing your personal experience with me.

I'm particularly interested in opinions of people who like me love to sit close to a cinema screen for the experience.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No, you will not see the pixels. I too like to sit close.

I sit 6' from my 10' DIY screen, illuminated by a VP12S1. I mounted the PJ as close to the screen as the chart would allow, for two reasons:

- Brighter

- I like to stand and watch. With the PJ so close, it sort of 'looks down' (with little keystone correction required). I can stand and watch rather 'front and off-center'.

Now, I don't know how the Firehawk works, so I don't know if being that close you might fall into another dimension, or have 'crazy pixel' syndrome, or something.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
WOW lostchild. First, congratulations on your purchases. Second, WOW your screen size is big relative your seating distance.

I have a 110 inch diagonal firehawk and the marantz. I sit about 15 feet back from the screen and for my eyes this is the right distance. As for pixel size/visibility I do not think this will be an issue. The faroudja chips in the marantz do an excellent job of rendering jaggies almost non-existant on even sub-par sources. Beyond that, I find that I can't see the pixels until I get a few feet (2-3, though I should double check this) away from the screen. While your screen is obviously bigger than mine, I can't imagine that at 14 feet you're going to see the pixel structure, unless you have 20/10 vision :)

However, I believe your alternative thought may indeed be problematic. You're going to be so close to the screen that your eyes will literally have to dart all over the place (obviously this will vary with the type of programming, fast sports being potentially most problematic) which can definitely cause fatigue (eyestrain, headaches, etc.). Sensitivity to this is highly variable though, and if you normally sit close up in the theater without a problem you may not be sensitive to it at all.

I debated getting the 123 inch but decided on the 110. For my eyes, I'm glad I did. At 15 feet, I believe if the picture were materially larger (as the 123 is) it would require more eye movement than I would be comfortable with.

Did you have any opportunity to demo on a screen that size at a distance of 14 feet? If not, try another screen size and sit proportionally closer, say 12 feet from a 110 inch screen. This would be too close for me but maybe not for you.

Good luck with it!

TM

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
You won't see the pixels at all. I sit 11-12 feet back from a 106" diagonal screen with my Marantz. The only time I saw pixels is when I get a few feet from the screen. I had a pixel go dead in the center of the screen and I could see the little black dot from where I sit though. Without a dead pixel though you will never know you are watching a pixel based device.

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
My setup is very close to Mike's. With my Marantz and 100" Firehawk, I sit about 1.5 screen widths away, which seems perfect to my eyes. Any closer though (less than 1.3) and DVDs do not look as good to my eyes. I would sit closer if I had HD (I love being submerged as well), but I watch only DVDs with my PJ right now.

Gord

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
HD looks incredible on the Marantz.

Anthony,

I have seen you lurking over on the HD Recorders section. Are you gonna get a JVC D-VHS player? I am thinking of getting one later on after i get my Marantz back and I wanna hear from someone who gets the JVC and how it looks with the Marantz especially compared to DVDS.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm trying REALLY hard to convince myself to get one. I think I will, but not until the fall when (hopefully) prices will have come down more (ideally to $700 or so), there's more software out, there may be other models out, and the glitches will have been resolved.

I'll report in if/when I do get it but it probably wont be for a few months.

THanks,

TM

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying REALLY hard to convince myself to get one. I think I will, but not until the fall when (hopefully) prices will have come down more (ideally to $700 or so), there's more software out, there may be other models out, and the glitches will have been resolved.

I'll report in if/when I do get it but it probably wont be for a few months.
Tony,

Yes, I have been a little put off about audio/video dropouts and was hoping they get a new and cheaper unit out soon. Also, there aren't enough titles coming out at launch. Hopefully I can wait a little while.....well, I at least have to wait until I get my Marantz back.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a 110" Firehawk with my Marantz at about 13' viewing and I really don't think you would want to go bigger and closer. The picture is stunning.

Mike and Anthony:

Looking at the JVC myself. Please let me know if you pull the trigger. I am waiting right now for software.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
I'm about to have my dealer pick up my PJ (to have the flicker fixed) as well as my RDC7 pre/pro for the latest upgrade. Dont know yet how long my HT will be out of commission, but I'm hoping that by the time the PJ and RDC are back that there will be enough new software out (and announced) that I feel comfortable buying one...

TM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.