AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have just managed to find a screen that will fill my wall 92" if I was to sit 7.2 ft away is that to big of a screen size or a good screen size?

if say viewing a 92" screen from 7.2 ft away was to large would it look bad if I shrunk the projector image down to say 70" on the 92" screen?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
google up "THX viewing specifications and distances"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
google up "THX viewing specifications and distances"
I have had a little look today 60" or so is recommended for 7.2 ft away but I would really like to use a projector with a screen and 92" is the smallest fixed frame screen I can find in the uk.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet away

80 inch class TV = 8-10 feet away
100 inch class TV = 10-12 feet away
110 inch class TV = 11-13 feet away
120 inch class TV = 12-14 feet away

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet away

80 inch class TV = 8-10 feet away
100 inch class TV = 10-12 feet away
110 inch class TV = 11-13 feet away
120 inch class TV = 12-14 feet away
yes I understand the viewing distances but I am asking if its possible to use a 92 inch projector screen and projector a smaller image onto the screen without it looking stupid, since 92 inches is the smallest screen size i can find.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
This is ridiculous...

If you are comfortable with that screen size, then use it!

THX recommendations are for center seats in a theater, but a lot of people choose to, and like to, sit closer.

I find that 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance is quite common for the forum members here. 7.2*12 is 86", which is close enough for what many people here are viewing at and are quite happy with.

You can obviously project a bit smaller if you find 92" overwhelming, but I have a client viewing 134" from 9' away who was super worried, but immediately liked what he saw. So, there is no reason at all not to sit back and enjoy your 92" screen from your viewing distance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi I have just managed to find a screen that will fill my wall 92" if I was to sit 7.2 ft away is that to big of a screen size or a good screen size?

if say viewing a 92" screen from 7.2 ft away was to large would it look bad if I shrunk the projector image down to say 70" on the 92" screen?

thanks!
You will be absolutely FINE viewing 92" from 7 ft. It's going to look big.. real big which is awesome if you like that. This is provided that you pick a good quality projector, for which I'd heartily recommend the Sony ES40.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
yes I understand the viewing distances but I am asking if its possible to use a 92 inch projector screen and projector a smaller image onto the screen without it looking stupid, since 92 inches is the smallest screen size i can find.
Ignore the recommendations for TV watching -- this is a projector, after all3. The SMPTE standards for watching a projected image are to sit between 2 and 3 times the height of the image. A 92" screen in 16:9 format is 45" high, so the SMPTE recommendation would have you sit between 90" (7.5') and 135" (11.3') away. But that isn't the whole story, because when viewing widescreen movies, the image will only be 33" high due to the black bars top and bottom. So you could watch from as close as 5.3' when watching cinemascope movies and still be within the guidelines.

I think you'll be fine with either content. It may seem large at first, but you will adjust and it will soon seem normal and everyone else watching TVs from the distances above will seem ridiculously small to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts