AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an HDTV (preferabbly CRT) and can only spend $700 or less, but since my viewing distance wil be about 10 feet, and at that price I'm looking at no bigger than 26" widescreen or 27 - 32" 4:3, is it even worth having Hi-Def since I will be sitting so far away?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsfan11
I would love to to do this, but I'm really constrained by the locations of where couches, etc. are.
In that case, the as far as you can. ;)

How far can you get? 5 feet?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
I want to get an HDTV (preferabbly CRT) and can only spend $700 or less, but since my viewing distance wil be about 10 feet, and at that price I'm looking at no bigger than 26" widescreen or 27 - 32" 4:3, is it even worth having Hi-Def since I will be sitting so far away?

Thanks,
For HD a 26" screen is too small. At 10 feet you should really consider a 50" or bigger screen to enjoy the true benefits of HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then is it not even worth buying an HD since I won't see the benefits and spending the cash on a bigger standard?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
So then is it not even worth buying an HD since I won't see the benefits and spending the cash on a bigger standard?
For DVDs a HDTV is pretty awesome because you get the higher resolution plus a very film-like appearance. For HD you should get at least a 30" screen to start seeing the benefits. HD will still look decent on 26" screen, but because of its size you won't be able to make out a lot of the fine details.

I would suggest you go out to the stores and compare sizes and see what looks better. A 30" or 32" might be more ideal for your situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trust me, I'd absolutely LOVE to do that, but I'm constrained by money, and room setup. I also don't have digital cable so the only way I could get HD is with an OTA tuner, and none seem to offer this at that price, so I would have to plunk down another 100-200 on a tuner.

Bad time to be buying a TV.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Trust me, I'd absolutely LOVE to do that, but I'm constrained by money, and room setup. I also don't have digital cable so the only way I could get HD is with an OTA tuner, and none seem to offer this at that price, so I would have to plunk down another 100-200 on a tuner.

Bad time to be buying a TV.
In that case, I'd save up a little more and wait.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
At 10 feet away a 27" HDTV will be too small, and watching HD on a 32" HDTV will give you a widescreen area of 29" diagonal which is also way too small for that distance and you won't really be able to discern the HD signal on such a small screen size. I had an excellent 32" HD Panny but at my 8 ft distance the letterboxed 29" HD area was way too small to get the full effect of the HD resolution. SD however looked very good and the 32" screen came close to being too small but was tolerable.

Your $700 budget is simply too low to get any appropiately sized set for your 10 ft distance and there are no decent 32" or 36" HD sets priced that low except for maybe a 32" HD Samsung or Zenith or Philips (not very good quality though).

For your low $700 budget you might want to consider just getting a good quality 32" analog tube TV with component inputs instead, or a 36" if you can find one at your price.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
This might help with the sizing and distance question. I just got the latest version of the Crutchfield catalog and found a chart. Their website has a similar chart for 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. I have a 42" RP LCD at about 8.5 feet that seemed huge for the first 3 weeks but now seems a tad small. :)

I also agree with the previous post, with your limited budget, it might be best to get a tube set for the time being knowing that you'll replace it a few years as your finances permit. Good luck.

YMMV

Crutchfield Advisor - TV and HDTV - FAQ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice. What a shame - I was looking forward to getting HDTV.

Crappy RCA. I'll never buy one again.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What a shame - I was looking forward to getting HDTV.

Crappy RCA. I'll never buy one again.
Don't let this get you down. You've learned one heck of a lot about HD and viewing distances, etc... Just put that money somewhere safe and save a bit more. When you have the money you'll have all the info you need. Keep up with the forum to stay current.

Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seems like I may be in the minority here, but size vs distance also depends on what you are used to. I have had a 27" sony as my primary tv for 8 years now. In our new house, this is a viewing distance of 10 feet or so. We are getting ready to get a new set and for various reasons (entertainment center limitations primarily), we will be getting a 32" HDTV.

While a 32" will not fall in the acceptable range in those charts, it will be a big step up from the 27" I am so accustomed to.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOK
Seems like I may be in the minority here, but size vs distance also depends on what you are used to. I have had a 27" sony as my primary tv for 8 years now. In our new house, this is a viewing distance of 10 feet or so. We are getting ready to get a new set and for various reasons (entertainment center limitations primarily), we will be getting a 32" HDTV.

While a 32" will not fall in the acceptable range in those charts, it will be a big step up from the 27" I am so accustomed to.
being a bachelor, I can get away with this ... don't let some d**n piece of furniture limit your TV enjoyment. After all, when the lights go down, which will you be looking at?

YMMV

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOK
...While a 32" will not fall in the acceptable range in those charts, it will be a big step up from the 27" I am so accustomed to.
You're correct, a 32" set is a big step up from 27" TV. And that's important to keep in mind. It's exactly what I was thinking when upgrading from my 27" set.

So I was kind of at an impasse. the experienced forum members kept saying go as big as your budget will allow. I was saying: " anything bigger than 32" will overpower the room." But you know, they were right. I am so glad I went with a 34" set for my bedroom. And, now I know just how much difference a bigger set can make, and how much more of a true HD experience it can be. So, when I'm in the market for a new living room tv, I'll be getting all the size I can for my budget and for PQ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, I think I MAY have found a way to move some furniture around to accomodate a 6 or 7 foot viewing distance. I believe this could put me in the 27" to 26" widescreen range. Any reccomendations? I've been looking at the 26" samsung models, but have heard problems about their geometry. Anybody own this set, and if so, have you had any problems, and how far away are you viewing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our couch was about 10ft from the wall. The depth of the 30" tube pushed away from the wall reduced that to less than 8ft so make sure you consider the depth of your tube. I then moved our couch about 1.5 ft forward in hopes that my wife wouldn't notice. She moved it back and then I moved it forward and we have agreed to keep it forward unless company coming over.

At 6.5ft, the 30" tube is fine. It would be hard but certainly not impossible to find a 32" HD for your buget. It would be 4:3 but you pay more for widescreen and your budget won't allow it. If you went with 27" you'd really want to be under 6" away.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.