AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I've just taken the plunge and bought an LG B7 OLED 55" TV with a great offer. I intend to wall mount it in a relatively small room, though with the 4K resolution the minimum viewing distance is thankfully decreased.

However, now I would like to find the optimal viewing height. I'm going to use this for gaming, movies and TV shows but also as a PC monitor (it has 4:4:4 Chroma).
I've found this formula to calculate viewing height, but the results seem to be off.

TV Mounting Height (TVMH) =ELH+(VD*0.22)—To the midpoint of the TV
Which in my case would translate to 43"+(60*0.22)=56,2". However, this would mean that the midpoint of the TV will be higher than my eye level. Is something wrong with it? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
Greetings.

I've just taken the plunge and bought an LG B7 OLED 55" TV with a great offer. I intend to wall mount it in a relatively small room, though with the 4K resolution the minimum viewing distance is thankfully decreased.

However, now I would like to find the optimal viewing height. I'm going to use this for gaming, movies and TV shows but also as a PC monitor (it has 4:4:4 Chroma).
I've found this formula to calculate viewing height, but the results seem to be off.

Which in my case would translate to 43"+(60*0.22)=56,2". However, this would mean that the midpoint of the TV will be higher than my eye level. Is something wrong with it? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
This is a video projection screen section - not a " TV screen " section. Just FYI.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Alexious

FWIW, it is because the formula is assuming a 12.5 degree viewing angle. Do you still remember anything from pre-calculus, SOHCAHTOA?

At a distance of 60" and an angle of 12.5 degrees, the TV should be roughly 13" higher than your eye level. This is how they arrive at 56".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Alexious

FWIW, it is because the formula is assuming a 12.5 degree viewing angle. Do you still remember anything from pre-calculus, SOHCAHTOA?

At a distance of 60" and an angle of 12.5 degrees, the TV should be roughly 13" higher than your eye level. This is how they arrive at 56".
Thanks for the reply. I'm not doubting the mathematical result of the formula, but its actual validity for the purpose at hand. Mainly because they were calculating the optimal viewing distance to be around 100inches for a 55" TV, but they were referring to 1080P HDTVs - 4K TVs allow users to sit much closer. I wonder if this changes anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No. Assuming a 12.5% viewing angle, the center height of 56" is suggested for a 55" TV with a 60" viewing distance. The fact that it is 4K is independent; it only tells you what distance you need to sit in order to notice the increased resolution

Personally, I feel like 12.5% may be a little high. If I were you, I would just suggest sitting on a couch positioned 60" from a wall and determining what is most comfortable for you. Forget about the math.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts