Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The PQ when viewing JPEG from its internal media reader is not that good. It enlarges the picture so much that the're so blurry. Has anyone tried this? And is there a way to reduce the picture size so that the picture will be sharper?

Initially, I thought my pictures are out of focus, but I confirm from my PC that the pictures are sharp.

It would be nice if I can get sharp pictures without hooking up my laptop? I plan to have a slide show when my family gets together next month.

koopalei

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The TV's resolution is only 1280 x 720, which is less than most digital cameras. So the TV actually has to make your pictures smaller just to display them on the screen. I suppose what you could be seeing are JPEG compression artifacts, or perhaps the TV isn't good at scaling down the pictures. What resolution are your pictures? Maybe you can try scaling them down to the TV's resolution on your PC so that the TV doesn't have to scale them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
The TV's resolution is only 1280 x 720, which is less than most digital cameras. So the TV actually has to make your pictures smaller just to display them on the screen. I suppose what you could be seeing are JPEG compression artifacts, or perhaps the TV isn't good at scaling down the pictures. What resolution are your pictures? Maybe you can try scaling them down to the TV's resolution on your PC so that the TV doesn't have to scale them.
My pictures are 3k x 2k (6 mega pixels), and I think it scales down and then blow them up to fill up the screen. It would be nice if it can just display the pictures smaller, and not fill up the screen. Then they would be sharper.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
This sounds like a typical bad down scaling to me not because of blow it up. Scale a large picture into a small size needs sophisticated algorithms. Otherwise, you will see blury pictures because of the loss of data. Typical example is the original Microsoft PictureIt! photo editing software. When print a 3MP digital photo into 5x7" size, the results are always blurry photos. Good photo editing software usually use special algorithm to scale the photo down.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by koopalei
My pictures are 3k x 2k (6 mega pixels), and I think it scales down and then blow them up to fill up the screen. It would be nice if it can just display the pictures smaller, and not fill up the screen. Then they would be sharper.
The TV does not blow them up, it just scales them down from 3k x 2k to 1280 x 720. To display the pictures smaller, you'd just be scaling them down even more, so I doubt they'd be sharper.

If I were you, I'd scale them down on my PC and copy them back to the memory card, since it sounds like the scaling algorithm on the TV is having trouble with your 6 megapixel pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.