AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most new Tv's now are HDTV's. I'm getting conflicting info. from different sales people about this subject and would like to verify if it will still look good (or look normal) to watch regular broadcast, non-HD, on a HDTV?

Some have told me that watching non-HD on a HDTV will look worst than watching it on a regular non-HDTV and some have said it will look fine. The question is, will watching non-HD on a HDTV look worst than on a non-HDTV?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The TV's of yesterday all had limited resolution that worked just fine with the SD (non-HD) material. Most HDTV's have to upconvert the low resolution of SD, which introduces garbage. All you are doing is taking a low resolution feed and blowing it up to fit your HD display. SD can look good, but SD has yet to look great when viewed on a HDTV. If all you want to watch is SD, then a HDTV purchase would be a visual step back. I watch HD programming exclusively because SD looks so bloody poor in comparison.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Are there any HDTVs that don't deinterlace SD signals, or at least give you an option? I have a old presentation monitor that I keep around because it can display progressive and interlaced material. In general I like SD better when it stays interlaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.