AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything in Kodi that I have to configure to play a 2160p (4k) ripped Blu-ray movie file? All of my HDMI cables are rated for 4k from the Windows 8 PC to the Denon X4100w Receiver to the JVC projector (eShift 4k - RS 4910 model). Here is my Graphic Card: 1.5GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 [Dual Bracket; 2x DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA via adapter
Do I need to change the resolution or configure anything on the Graphic Card to change it to be able to view 4k or in Windows?

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
That video card is not capable of 4K, max resolution is 2560x1600.
Never used Kodi on a PC. Not sure if you also need a separate HEVC codec for Kodi.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The nvidia website specs suggest it should support resolutions up to 2160p at 24 and 30 hz over HDMI

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if it decodes hevc in hardware though, which may overwhelm CPU if not.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
A dedicated streaming box running Kodi will be cheaper and easier to handle and more capable in many ways than a PC.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You will need windows 10 with a minimum of a 1060 GPU

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would disagree that you need windows 10 or a graphics card with much horsepower. Kodi runs fine on 7 and 8. If you aren't gaming, Intel processors and their built-in graphics have been able to decode hevc in hardware for many generations (ie, pull the graphics card). If you are indeed planning on gaming, that changes everything and you'd need a more modern card (all of which should be able to handle UHD)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I would disagree that you need windows 10 or a graphics card with much horsepower. Kodi runs fine on 7 and 8. If you aren't gaming, Intel processors and their built-in graphics have been able to decode hevc in hardware for many generations (ie, pull the graphics card). If you are indeed planning on gaming, that changes everything and you'd need a more modern card (all of which should be able to handle UHD)

No hdr

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would also agree that cheap streaming boxes do great with Kodi (ie installing coreelec or LibreElec on a S905 or S912). If you want gaming and Kodi, consider nvidia shield

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Is there anything in Kodi that I have to configure to play a 2160p (4k) ripped Blu-ray movie file?
Official Kodi plays DVD's and Blu-rays including 4k HDR with ease. This includes full menus for complete 1:1 iso rips. Just install JAVA if you want menus. There is a setting in Kodi to enable full menus.

Fwiw, 4k HDR video looks no different than when passed through madVR so it isn't necessary. I'd recommend it for video lesser than 4k though because of benefits from the extra processing. This is perfect for panel users because 4k doesn't need to be processed.

On the other hand, PJ users like yourself need as much processing as they can get with any video so you might consider using Kodi just as a front end to launch external players compatible with madVR for everything.

That said, you will need a more powerful video card that can hardware process (forget about CPU software processing) to do any worthwhile processing that's going to make your PJ watchable. A cheap streaming box won't accomplish this as well (if at all) as a good video card coupled with madVR processing. As with most things... you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
Don’t forget to configure Kodi to use WASAPI in its audio setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts