AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another "beg for help" post on this forum I explained that I wanted to build a Visual Basic program to make a PC become a Pronto like device.

I would like to control a complete HT system with a mouse, and a monitor mounted close to my seating position. I currently have a computer monitor that shows the same display as my big screen, for the purpose of reading "on screen displays" from my surround processor. This monitor displays the OSD no matter if I'm in the HDTV mode or not. Unlike the big screen display.

I would like to integrate this OSD capability into the remote control monitor.

I'm looking for a device or card that will allow me to put a real time display from an S-video output (OSD, DVD menu, and such) into a small window on the same monitor screen as the remote controls.

I've seen TV tuners for CPU's that can display TV in one corner of your monitor while you are doing something else at the computer. I've seen video capture cards that have s-video inputs, but I don't know if they would work with a surrounding visual basic program. I thought maybe a security card would work but I again, don't know if they would work with a surrounding VB program.

I hope this post is clear enough to understand what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If VB programs support DirectShow it will work. I know C# does for a fact, but I don't know much about VB. For that purpose I would buy a cheap TV card with s-video in should be less

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

I wonder if a TV card like ATI's TV wonder Pro would work without DirectShow. I did a little research after your reply and it appears that something that simple would work fine. I just need to build a VB form around it or allow space in the form for the small OSD display.

Anyone have experience with this card?

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.