I have a viewsonic 830

should I jump on the nec 150 dell deal

If so what r the differences between the two projectors

I run a htpc so that would be used for both

Basically which is better and why?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't seen either unit. However, if I remember correctly, the Viewsonic is a Davis 450 clone, which was a SVGA 400-lumen unit. Davis recently went out of business. The LT150 is a XGA 800-lumen projector. On paper it seems like the LT150 has the edge.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I had a Davis clone too, JG. I'm as anxious as you are to know how the LT150 will compare to it. Has anyone out there owned both now who can give us an opinion?

I'll be a very happy camper if it turns out to be a projector which gives the picture quality of the Davis with

the addition of increased panel resolution and HDTV compatibility. But that's a big "if". Hopefully someone will be able to tell us.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
JG,

One thing which some mentioned to explain why our Davis projectors made such a pretty image was what is called

"triple buffering". Apparently this was not used in the

XGA machines which immediately followed the Davis. I don't

know if this is still a consideration with the later designs

or not.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im debating on whether to get the lt150 or stay with my viewsonic

Need help????

By the way is the dell place where everyone is ordering from in Austin TX

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have had a Viewsonic PJL830 for a little over a year (I put together the group buy last spring). I have purchased one of the Dell LT150's and was told it should ship by Wednesday. With 2 day delivery, I should have it by Friday.

I currently use a PII 550 HTPC with a radeon card on a 52"x92" matte white screen.

I will post some test results ASAP. I have numerous color and B&W films to do some comparative tests.

Scott

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Excellent, Scott. We'll be anxious to know about what you find.

p.s. when you mentioned you "put together the group buy" are you the individual who first spotted it in the Projector Central ad?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
197 Posts
JG,

Where in Austin are you? The Dell sales dept is most likely here, but the units will probably ship from a warehouse somewhere else -- probably not even Dell's warehouse. It could be coming from NEC's warehouse if Dell does have a special arrangement to help them clear inventory.

Anyways, I have a LT150 and am very impressed with it. Unfortunately my living room is torn apart right now as I run some permanent wires for it otherwise I'd give a demo. It will probably take a few weeks to finish up as I only have time to work on it during weekends. I'm on the north side of Lake Travis.

I've played with some other DLPs (plus, Lp350) and find that the NEC LT150 has much better contrast and black level than any of them, so I think you'll be impressed. I've seen a dreamvision in person but it was a while back, but I think the NEC would quite easily beat that Davis clone.

-Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IM in south austin

I ordered the lt 150

they ship out of Dallas

the rep told me they were taking a loss to sell them this low

BTW what happened to the austin ht group

I dont get e-mails anymore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts