AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about using a Viewsonic Airpanel vs. a Pocket PC for Remote Control using Music Lobby/J. Rivers Media Center.

I think the 10" version of the Viewsonic Airpanel is prices affordably and gives more graphical area while still being not too big. I'm still debating on whether to go full blown HTPC or just remote music server, but regardless, I will need either a Pocket PC or a Viewsonic Airpanel, or similar device somebody may recommend.

Does the Viewsonic airpanel have to replace my current 21 inch monitor, or can I use both? Does this involve Windows XP remote desktop or dual monitor support? How well does the Cinemar Suite work with either scenario: Pocket PC vs Airpanel? I realize main lobby will not be available in Pocket PC in beta for another month, so that should not be taken into consideration.

So could someone explain the advantages vs disadvantages of Pocket PC vs Viewsonic Airpanel or any other device recommendation?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is completely offtopic, but I Must say, you ask the very best questions when it comes to HTPC's and music servers. The exact same questions I would ask, and the exact same questions so many members on here want to be asking. If at all possible, please continue to ask these questions when an issue comes up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Health Nut

So could someone explain the advantages vs disadvantages of Pocket PC vs Viewsonic Airpanel or any other device recommendation?
As far as I know, Viewsonic Airpanel is a SmartDisplay PC. It's only a remote display for another machine. It cannot run easily Windows CE applications.

The ViewSonic Airpanel can be replaced by a Tablet PC or a WebPad like the Siemens SimPad .

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/May02/images/May02_p17_1.jpg

A WebPad, a Tablet PC, a PC or a Pocket PC can be used as a remote with the NetRemote software.

NetRemote is a Windows or Windows CE application which functions as a remote to control a HTPC (or, very soon, a non PC equipment, Global Caché ) via TCP/IP, allowing for bidirectional communication with no line of sight issues.

It will support consumer IR directly, but does support IR passthrough to a server side application that includes support for the Slinke, RedRat (2 and 3), and USB-UIRT.

NetRemote is tightly integrated with J. River's Media Center. :)

A NetRemote setup: :cool:
http://home.powertech.no/mastiff/netremote.htm

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daniel,

My understanding is that the Viewsonic airpanel for purposes of remote control uses remote destop and is nothing more than letting you access Music Lobby, DVD Lobby, and Main Lobby via the TFT panel: no stylus, light, etc... should be superior to either a tablet, or pocket PC running Pocket PC versions.

Again, I'm only interested in Cinemar suite because I need tech support and do not have the time to invest in the learning curve at this time. My understanding is that netrmote and girder would take considerable learning time which I don't have... that Cinemar suite I'd be up and going rather quickly.

The Siemens unit looks great also. Basically a small tablet that I have not seen elsewhere... I wonder how the Siemens unit compares to a viewsonic airpanel in my situation? The Siemen's unit apparently is discontinued.... but there are some on EBAY right now.... hmmm?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Health Nut

My understanding is that netrmote and girder would take considerable learning time which I don't have... that Cinemar suite I'd be up and going rather quickly.

I think it depends on what you want to do. If you're primarily looking to control whole home audio, there is no need for Girder, and no learning time required.

Fire up NetRemote, put in the IP address of the server, and you're off and running.

If you want to do other control, you'll need to learn some Girder, although it might be that you'd need Girder for the Lobby Suite as well, depending on what you wanted to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.