AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If it's better than their $90 VB50HRTV, I'm game :D Nextvision 6 has component and hopefully 16:9 squeeze for $199 retail (less street); sounds sweet to us cheapies. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
The major plus is that the NextVision 6 provides convenient component to RGB conversion for projectors/monitors that don't support component. Note that ViewSonic is also introducing an HDTV monitor. Can a Viewsonic OTA/HDTV STB be far off???

They mention in the press release that people at home who are "creating their own digital content" are a main focus for this unit, yet don't mention if FireWire is included. I guess that this means S-Video, which most projectors already support. (On the other hand, most monitors don't support S-Video.)

But for $200, I'm sure that some brave (And cheap) forum member will check this out...

BTW, I've been quite happy with my VB50 so far. About the only thing about this release that really interests me is the capability of watching up to nine channels at the same time. Shades of "Taxi"...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed that it will accept 480p component input and scale to 720p VGA output. It seems unlikely but I can hope.

If anyone finds specs, please post them. Thanks.

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't look like the NextVision 6 has component in jacks.
"The NextVision 6 transforms displays that support up to 1280x1024 resolution into HDTV and digital televison (DTV) monitors through component video input connections (YPbPr). A 3D comb filter supports both EDTV and HDTV resolution formats including 480P, 720P and 1080i, and provides sharp, crisp images for optimum picture detail."

Am I missing something here?!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
"into HDTV and digital televison (DTV) monitors through component video

input connections "

They are saying it does component out, into an HDTV.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by era

It doesn't look like the NextVision 6 has component in jacks.:(
It seems to me that the NextVision 6 will have a YPbPr input and a RGB output, and it will transcode a video signal from YPbPr to RGB. So, for instance, you could connect the YPbPr output of your HDTV tuner to the YPbPr input of the NV6, and connect the RGB output of the NV6 to the RGB input of your computer monitor.

It will probably also have S-video input, composite video input, RF input (for tuning analog TV), and RGB input (for pass-through of VGA signal from computer).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The press release lists the inputs as:

181-channel TV tuner, S-video, composite video and RGB pass-through. No mention of component.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez

No mention of component.
The press release mentions "component video input connections". You quoted it in your earlier post, but I disagree with your interpretation. Although the press release is not totally clear, I still think that the Nextvision 6 will have a YPbPr input.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I looked at it again and I think you have point. You could really interpret this both ways:

"The component inputs on the TVs allow this to work with them"

or

"The component inputs on this box allow it to work like a HDTV with component inputs."

The list of inputs does not have components, but looking over the sentence again, I believe the second might be possible as well. We really need more information about this and Viewsonic has not even posted this on their own site (only the VB50 is listed.)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
While the FLI2300 isn't due out until Winter, it is only $20 in 1K qty. This would make it possible to marry these two devices and offer an astounding package. It's a solution waiting to happen.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Given the Viewsonic press release clearly indicates that their new video scalers can be used with a computer monitor as the display device, then one must assume that the scalers must have a VGA (i.e., RGB) output.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is looking better by the minute for us folks that don't need (or don't have the money for) a full blown scaler.

I wonder if it can handle PAL (digital satellite) sources via S-Video?

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ofer,

I've emailed Viewsonic in the US and in Europe asking about PAL in the US version and the possibility of a PAL release in Europe - I'll post the replies as soon as I get them. Here's hoping one of them is positive!

I was going to buy a the VB50 for satellite viewing and for games consoles (I use a Cinematrix modded DVD player for DVDs) but the NextVision sounds a lot better (at least on paper). If its at least as good as the VB50 it'll suit me perfectly for occasional use.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
VB50 does not handle PAL except via VGA/component passthrough. Better go with www.tv-one.com (XGA theater for $149 USD) if you want to do PAL.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry Huey, I wasn't very clear about the VB50 - what I should have said was that I had intended buying the European version of the VB50 (actually its the VB55) but that the NextVision now looks a better choice.

Paul

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Huey,

Support for PAL is easy. That's not the problem. It's 2:2 pulldown support and PQ (motion adaptive). The units specifically boast 3:2 pulldown, but not 2:2 pulldown.

I couldn't get the tv-one website to open. Their website might be down or something (I can ping it, so I know it's not a problem on my end).

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.