AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a little initial confusion on setting it up (the Sony SDM-X82 LCD has to use its own VGA cord), I have to say I'm quite pleased.

I'm running at full resolution -- 1280x1024 -- and all looks fine. I've so far watched some of the Fifth Element (Superbit) and some music DVD's. Color looks great, sharpness is really fine, I don't notice any odd color casts, ghosting or delay at all.

The DVD player I use in my office is the HTIB Yamaha DVX-S100, progressive scan w/ Faroudja chip, component outputs. I don't have an antenna handy or I would check the TV reception (but that's not what I really wanted it for).

The N6's packaging was very good, manual almost unnecessary, on-screen menu's clear and easily used. All is as expected. Seems like a really fine product, but a little pricey. I paid $369 plus tax at PC Mall (local store).

Any questions?

Larry

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, progressive scan from a DVD player throught the N6, scaled up to 1280x1024 on my Sony X82 LCD -- this matches the max/native resolution of the Sony, which is why I went for the N6 rather than the N5 or N4.

The N6 has only one set of component inputs, as well as one s-video and one composite video.

Meets my needs perfectly at this point.

Larry

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
N6 accepts 480i/p and only has RGB output (perfect for PC monitors--LCD or CRT). AVT-3700 accepts only 480i but has RGB and YPbPr output (better suited for digital PJ and HDTV).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Other than the fact that I've got 2 sets of component outputs I'd like to have hooked up at once, this sounds decent for the price. Of course, the price is pretty high given the fact that I'm only wanting a scaler to back up my PC. Its been out of service for a week at a time twice lately which means no DVDs and no video games which is really harsh. Maybe I just need more monitor rather than more ancillary hardware :p

Thanks guys.

Kensai

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try using a component switcher or if your receiver switches component then you are all set. Some people just use the cheapie Ratshack mechanical AV switcher (red for R audio, white for L audio, and yellow for video that can be used for red component (Pr or Cr), blue component (Pb or Cb), and green component (Y)). It works fine for nonHDTV signals.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Kramer or KeyDigital makes good HDTV bandwidth capable component switchers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.