AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote this review on the nVidia 3D Vision forum, thought it may be of use here!

I recently took the plunge on a projector. I was actually originally going to get this projector but then the Acer H5360 and Optoma HD66 lured me with their 720 peeeez. However, upon many many talks with the wife, I decided to wait on a more expensive 3D PJ until the Blu-Ray 3D thang is all settled. For nearly $300 less than the Optoma HD66, I scored a Viewsonic 6210 at $420. As for the Acer, it is still unavailable here in the 'States as of writing this. Anyways, the projector is tiny and does max res of 1280x1024 (1024x768 native). It supports 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio.

Right off the bat, I felt the color was a bit muted, but the projector was insanely bright. I borrowed a HD20 Optoma for months and this rivals the brightness of that PJ. Picture clarity of the 6210 is what you would expect of a XGA projector. It's clear, but no 1080p. I played with the color and was satisfied but never undeniably impressed. It's passable (for my standards), but I think I need to do some more tweaking.

After a wrestle with an on-board GPU, I finally got the drivers to work for my 8800 GTS (thanks to Windows Update - nVidia installer flat out would not work). 3D Vision wizard was an absolute breeze. It recognized the monitor instantly. I tried some movie trailers (Bolt, Fly Me to the Moon) and they were EXTREMELY impressive. No ghosting, very clear.

I then tried Avatar the game. Blown away. I was used to playing on a 120hz CRT but playing on a DLP projector is just... better than I imagined. ZERO ghosting. I mean, zip, zilch, nada. The brightness dips heavily in 120hz mode, but you can make up for this for the most part in the number of options via the nVidia Control Panel, in-game settings, or PJ settings.

Update:

I hooked up my 360 and PS3 to it. The 360 is super easy to hook up since you can get a VGA cable. Looks great, I set it to 1280x1024. HD Netflix streaming looked nice, clear. 360 all worked fine, looked great and I was happy.

I then wanted to hook up my PS3, which took some time. I ordered a PS2/PS3 component cable from ebay, that came quick. THEN, I had to order a VGA to component adapter.... which I didn't realize was from a Chinese seller. Took damn well FOREVER to come in. But, only $9 shipped, so I suppose I can deal with it. Also, the quality of the female component inputs wired part are fairly thin, so I don't think its the greatest cable, but hey... Anyways, finally got it hooked up. 1080p didn't go over those cables well + the projector I think had to compress that resolution too much and it didn't look great. 720p however, looked wonderful! We watched Star Trek Blu-Ray and it impressed me. I borrowed a Optoma HD20 1080p PJ and this looked similar in brightness and clarity at my screen size, so I was impressed for sure. I'm not saying those PJs are on the same level, but I was expecting much worse, tbh. Games were a little dark, I need to change some settings.

Again, couldn't be happier with a $420 projector.

Summary:

Pros:

Small

Bright

Zero Ghosting

CHEEEEAP!!

100% 3D Vision Compatibility/Support

Clear

Cons:

Less-than-impressive Color

Not Technically HD

Dimming in 120hz Mode

iPhone pics On 88" diagonal 1.33:1 screen:

Alien 720p

Toy Story 3 1080p Trailer

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
It's pretty amazing that this projector can actually do 3D. The only thing that really sucks though, is the fact that it only has a VGA input. What the F were they thinking with that? If it had a hdmi input, there is always the possibility that you could have gotten the special adapter Mits is making for the legacy 3D Ready DLP's. But with only a VGA input, that isn't going to work. Man...

I would buy one of these puppies right now, if I knew it could somehow work with various 3D Blu Ray players, and Direct TV 3D and stuff like that. Even with the lower resolution, and that fact that it's actually native 4:3. I wonder what the resolution actually becomes when you use the 16:9 mode. 1024 x 768 is the native resolution, but that is a 4:3 resolution. I imagine when you set it to 16:9 mode, you're getting even less resolution.

Still it can do 3D, which is pretty darn cool. If only there was someway to get it to work in 3D with anything other than a PC.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the lack of HDMI is what made me almost decide to go with the Optoma, but at this price I'll probably upgrade if I can't get a usable 3d Blu-Ray solution. It's possible it may work with a PC bluray drive & software and that would be fine for me as I have a PC sitting in my media cabinet!

The clarity is very very good though and has actually satisified me to the point where I'd rather not upgrade if I don't have to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts