AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you PJ guru's!

I am new to the HT game and in need of some advice. I have a 16'x17' room semi dedicated, 90% light controlled (some east facing windows on the 2nd floor room will be heavy curtained shortly). It has been prewired by my builder for 7.1 surround and I have had special cabinets made in the back to house my components so I don't have to run a really long HDMI run to my PJ. I will be using a Motorola HD cable box, PS3 for bluray and gaming, as well as xbox360 and wii. The room will primarily be used for movies and games, perhaps some football this season. Here is my question: I have been looking very heavily at the panny ae3000U projector. Impressed by features and abilty of machine, not so much by the price-lots of coin for a 1st attempt. I stumbled across the viewsonic Pro8100 last night and am very impressed. Not only with the price, but the specs and the brightness I have heard lots of people wooing over. I realize there are a lot of differences to the two pj's. I am really drawn to the viewsonic due to the price. If I save some coin on my 1st PJ I can buy a nicer screen and still have some coin to upgrade in a couple years if I decide to. I just need some owners of this PJ to give me an idea about throw distances-is 15' close enough to give me a 106" screen? Does height matter? My cielings are 9' and the pj wil be shelf mounted in the back of the room. Are lamps easy to get for this bad boy? If I could save 1/2 on my PJ it would be a wonderful thing. This being my 1st attempt at an HT, I really want to do it right, and set myself up for a life long pursuit of home theatre greatness. I want to have something to be proud of, but I also know theres always room to grow and learn more about this highly addicting new hobby. Thank you all in advance for your much needed and appreciated advice.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
The Pro8100 is an excellent choice for your first projector. It has advanced features that you'd have to pay double for with other PJs. The performance, while not state of the art, is more than enough for a great HT experience. Go to www.projectorcentral.com , click on calculator pro, and enter the Viewsonic Pro8100. It's an interactive calculator that will show image sizes at various distances, that should tell you what you'll need to know about the setup requirements.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/17052806

The Pro8100 is an excellent choice for your first projector. It has advanced features that you'd have to pay double for with other PJs. The performance, while not state of the art, is more than enough for a great HT experience. Go to www.projectorcentral.com , click on calculator pro, and enter the Viewsonic Pro8100. It's an interactive calculator that will show image sizes at various distances, that should tell you what you'll need to know about the setup requirements.

Hey poolboy.How is your new 8100.You never posted your impressions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had the Pro8100 for one week, and I am very impressed. This is my first projector, and it sure offers a lot of features and performance for the money. Here are a few thoughts based upon my own experience.

Before you decide that you want a particular screen and haul off and buy that size, consider painting the screen wall with Behr Silver Screen (or one of the million plus custom tints suggested in the DIY screen subforum). That way, you can arrange your seating where you want it, throw the image on the wall, tinker with the motorized zoom and lens shift, and decide upon the optimal image size and placement for you and wifey. You may just decide that the painted wall looks just fine for the time being.

For speakers, check out Home Theater Direct (in Plano, TX). They offer inwall and cabinet speakers. I purchased and installed their "High Definition" inwall speakers for front, surround, and back, and their cabinet speakers for center and subwoofer. Mine are driven by a three year old mid-line AV receiver (not particularly expensive or sexy), and they sound great. I'm sure that someone else could spend a lot more money and be able to tell a difference, but I'm not sure that I could appreciate the difference. Also, Home Theater Direct has very good presale and postsale support. Call and ask for Mike or Scott, and they'll answer all your questions and not try to oversell you. No, I am not affiliated with them, I just like their products.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been looking at this projector as well, I have a few concerns and hoping someone can help

1) The projectorcentral review mentions average ansi contrast (probably lower than average compared to newer projectors) and some digital noise on sd over hdmi. I'm wondering if owners agree with this, and have seen other 1080p projectors and compared contrast ratios. Is the real world image (contrast) obviously less than desired? or are the reviews average because it was for a $3-5000 projector but should be adjusted for a $1500 projector?

2) Anybody have issues with dust blobs or seen reports about this?

3) Anybody compare this projector to Benq w5000 or Infocus X10 for image quality?

4) I have a lower end projector, the optoma hd65, is this projector a significant upgrade?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank all of you for the advice. It is much appreciated. I think I am gonna pull the triger tomorrow and buy this bad boy. Now is there any better place than the other to buy this online from? I don't have any local sources. The reason I ask is I have heard some horror stories about people ordering from Tiger Direct and places like that and the PJ arriving all mangled. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaresMachine /forum/post/17057471

Thank all of you for the advice. It is much appreciated. I think I am gonna pull the triger tomorrow and buy this bad boy. Now is there any better place than the other to buy this online from? I don't have any local sources. The reason I ask is I have heard some horror stories about people ordering from Tiger Direct and places like that and the PJ arriving all mangled. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Ordered from TD, but ended up canceling after they couldn't give me any specifics on availability and shipping. Ordered from JR, got shipped out same day, for free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it, scooped up the last one from amazon tonite!!! it was about 50$ more than other places, but with free 2day ship and I trust amazon as I have ordered from them in the past with no issues. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaresMachine /forum/post/17057845

I did it, scooped up the last one from amazon tonite!!! it was about 50$ more than other places, but with free 2day ship and I trust amazon as I have ordered from them in the past with no issues. Wish me luck!

Congrats on getting one of the last two from Amazon. I am still waiting for mine to ship from Tigerdirect. It is still backordered. I think it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ordered my pro8100 yesterday from provantage. best price i could find. They are very responsive and shipped out today. Looking forward to getting this puppy up and running. It is a replacement for a prior projector that died on me. (Sharp that was over 7 years old).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PJ left amazon distributor today @ 8:38pm!! My 8100 is sitting in Harrisburg PA....1500 miles never seemed so far. LOL! My speaker guy will be bringing my ONKYO S9100THX system on friday when he installs my in wall speakers for my wife's TV downstairs. I will hopefully be enjoying bed sheet screen cinema by this weekend! Thanks again to all of you who helped me make my decision I am soooo excited!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried on a lot of viewsonic products. I think they are very good in quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those of you who just bought this pro8100 projector recently, can you comment on its performance? Do you have any vertical banding issue? Any picture on your setup would be very helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we purchased this projector in Sept and it is amazing. My husband is thrilled with it for both gaming and movies. We also use it for reg HD tele. At the rate we'e going though, we prob will be needing a new bulb sooner than expected lol. Our room is 13x19 and we have it mounted to the ceiling with a drop of about 4 " . It is set at about 15 feet back with a 110 screen. The color is great rahter the room is completely dark or with lighting. We are very happy with it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.