AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm looking to upgrade from my Epson HC400, which would be the better deal? The Sanyo has better blacks, and with the rebate is $1899. The Viewsonic has fancy processing, motorized shift/zoom, and just looks way cool! Would I be better off with the Viewsonic at $1299, or pony up the extra $600 for the Sanyo?

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/16937622

OK, I'm looking to upgrade from my Epson HC400, which would be the better deal? The Sanyo has better blacks, and with the rebate is $1899. The Viewsonic has fancy processing, motorized shift/zoom, and just looks way cool! Would I be better off with the Viewsonic at $1299, or pony up the extra $600 for the Sanyo?

If you have the gas the Sanyo is the way to go. It's 120hz and has really good blacks. Its very bright and has excellent colors. I wan the Sanyo, but funds are limited and i wish i could buy it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
sanyo have very soft image no sharpness at all, white tend to yellow , weak color when comparied to viewsonic , in projectorreviews tests : not bright enough for 110" ! , without thinking viewsonic worth more than twice of sanyo plv-3000, and keep this 600$ for 7.1 avrecevier.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 /forum/post/16941920

sanyo have very soft image no sharpness at all, white tend to yellow , weak color when comparied to viewsonic , in projectorreviews tests : not bright enough for 110" ! , without thinking viewsonic worth more than twice of sanyo plv-3000, and keep this 600$ for 7.1 avrecevier.

Sanyo is extremely sharp go over to projectorcentral.com and read reviews

and is very bright as well can easily go over 110".

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dear johnifehr sanyo is sharp and bright but not to compare with the viewsonic pro8100

and projectorcentral dont offer projectors movie images as projectorreviews.com you can check the same image and see the difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
contrast and shadow detail is no where near the z3000, only thing its got over z3000 is brightness and which most people don't need and the z3000 has 5:5 pull down and smooth motion, and for movies may it be blu ray or standard def the z3000 is superior. no image noise and dynamic irs issues. For only 600 bucks more you get all the latest technology and won't have to upgrade for a long time. IMO

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
and what about sharpness and color and HQV-210(HOLLYWOOD QUALITY VIDEO), motorized lens shift vertical and horizental, motorized foucs, piano look , .............etc and the iris issue was solved with 2.5 firmware update and confirmed by projectorreviews it self at their fourms also sanyo dosent produce lamps for its projectors. anyway i am not try to open an argue here, "each party are happy with which they have" but the difference obvious to the eye.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdealmike /forum/post/16965598

I am thinking about getting the viewsonic how does it compare to the hd20?

Much better ergonomics, power zoom/shift focus, easy placement, etc. No doubt much quieter, but if the hd20 can work in your setup you may get better contrast. I went for the Pro8100, I just can't go back to DLP placement issues!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/16968386

Much better ergonomics, power zoom/shift focus, easy placement, etc. No doubt much quieter, but if the hd20 can work in your setup you may get better contrast. I went for the Pro8100, I just can't go back to DLP placement issues!

Thanks I will have a lot of light in the room will that matter between the two?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdealmike /forum/post/16969805

Thanks I will have a lot of light in the room will that matter between the two?

When there is a lot of ambient light in a room the contrast takes a big hit. The brighter a PJ is, the better in this case. Art's review of the Pro8100 says that it is one of the brightest 1080P projectors, which is what i was looking for. My room has a white ceiling and light colored walls, so I didn't think added contrast at the expense of brightness (Sanyo Z3000) would be as effective. In the case of the Optoma I haven't read any reviews, so it's tough to tell how bright it really will be. I do know, however, that in terms of placement and user convenience it's no contest, power shift/focus/zoom is WAY better than the rigid setup requirements of the Optoma.

·
Registered
44 Posts
floridapoolboy: Did you get your pro8100 yet, if so, how do you find it?

I am looking into getting my first projector and the pro8100 at its current price point of 1300 + bing cashback looks like an awesome deal, just not too sure on the lumens, seem a little low-ish which I know is subjective and depends on ambient light, I'm talking spec-wise.

Let me know what you think of yours.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zasy99 /forum/post/17004173

floridapoolboy: Did you get your pro8100 yet, if so, how do you find it?

I am looking into getting my first projector and the pro8100 at its current price point of 1300 + bing cashback looks like an awesome deal, just not too sure on the lumens, seem a little low-ish which I know is subjective and depends on ambient light, I'm talking spec-wise.

Let me know what you think of yours.

I'm still waiting for the PJ to arrive. I had to re-order through a different store, the original store ran out and gave me the runaround. Check out the review at www.projectorcentral.com , the 8100 has plenty of lumens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got my pro8100 last night (ordered from TD), and I gotta say, this thing is awesome. Sitting about 10 feet away, 110" image, no SDE, or any other nasty effects; just pure awesomeness.

I upgraded from an aging and ailing Infocus 4805, and I upgraded my DVD player from an Oppo 981 to the Oppo BDP-83. Gotta say, I'm really, really happy with this set-up, and I haven't tweaked the settings yet or anything. Black levels are superb (at least, in my light-controlled room with white walls and ceiling, this is probably about as good as the black levels can get). The Pro8100 is almost totally silent (major improvement from the 4805), and in 3 hours of Blu-ray watching last night (an episode of "Planet Earth" and "Crank"), I didn't notice the dynamic iris even once. BTW, my unit had the latest firmware (1.51) preinstalled on it, which is the version that fixes the iris issues.

The build quality on the Pro8100 is top-notch, but, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it is really, really massive...so make sure you have enough space before you buy (I'm going to have to build a bigger shelf for it...).

Now that it seems like so many people are buying the Pro8100, we should start an official thread so we can pool knowledge regarding settings, performance tweaks, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And btw, as for lumens, when I first turned the thing on (before I ratcheted down the output by switching to cinema mode and low-power mode) I thought my eyes were going to melt clean out of my skull. This thing seemed plenty bright (I actually got a headache from the brightness before I figured out how to turn down the lumens...).

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuntean /forum/post/17004763

And btw, as for lumens, when I first turned the thing on (before I ratcheted down the output by switching to cinema mode and low-power mode) I thought my eyes were going to melt clean out of my skull. This thing seemed plenty bright (I actually got a headache from the brightness before I figured out how to turn down the lumens...).

Haha, good to hear its plenty bright, is that in a COMPLETELY dark room or do you have SOME ambient light?

I knew it was big before I ordered it, its probably a mammoth in terms of projectors these days as it is a few years old model.

Gives a good sense of build quality and also allows for plenty of internal cooling which is probably why this unit is also said to run pretty quiet as far as projectors are concerned which was a concern to me as my room is not that large and it will be in close proximity to my sitting position.

And yes, an official thread for it would be good, dunno how one is started though, can anyone do it or does it have to be a mod?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts