AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me pick out the best paint formula for my room.

I have finally made some decisions concerning colors, projector, etc.

Room size is 12 x 17 and there is little to no ambient light.

Projector is Viewsonic Pro8100 (do you need specs?)

Celing and screen wall are Chocolate brown

Walls are a medium gray.

I would like to do a ~120" diag screen (a little wider if I do 2.35).

From reading through posts I am guessing RS-MAXXMUD would be the direction to go - does this sound right?

I have one REALLY stupid question. To actually mix the paint, water, other ingredients. Do you do that yourself, or the paint store (home depot)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_luvr /forum/post/18255291

Walls are a medium gray.

From reading through posts I am guessing RS-MAXXMUD would be the direction to go - does this sound right?

I have one REALLY stupid question. To actually mix the paint, water, other ingredients. Do you do that yourself, or the paint store (home depot)?

Thanks!

Hi there,... I just got a Pro8100 and have a 10x19 room with little to no ambient light. My walls are choc brown flat and ceiling is navy blue flat.... I have a 115" painted screen. From what I have been told, silver fire would be tops and rsmaxxmud next...but either should be sprayed.... I didn't want to spray, so I went with Behr silverscreen with 25% polyurethane and after only one night I'm pretty happy... handles ambient light well, and you can roll it no problem. I have the pro8100 12-13' from the wall with econ mode and it appears bright enough for me.... but I must confess I'm not a image quality nut like many on here... but contrast and shadow detail appear very very good with some minor tweaking.... but again this is a new bulb.....and behr plus poly is a negative gain situation vs. some other metallic mixes.....and... you are going with a slightly larger screen so you might have to use full lamp, etc.

That being said, if I ever make a screen I will experiment with silverfile and get a sprayer, but this is my wall, which is probably temporary and also I didn't want to deal with spraying indoors, etc.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_luvr /forum/post/18255291

Walls are a medium gray.

Yes to the extent that it will do an excellent job and it WILL allow you to use Low lamp in such a light controlled environment. And also "yes", you can easily support up to 135"s with a 1800 lumen PJ.
Quote:

Thanks!

Not sew stewpid.

For some time MMud mixes that contained ingredients that all came from HD were often mixed in the store. A new 1 Gallon Can was purchased, all the stuff dumped in and shook up.

But when ingredients like those that come from sources like Michaels came into play, the use of a drill powered "Squirrel Cage" Mixer became the preferred method.

Quote:
Thanks!

U bet. Keep us up to date with your plans and be sure to ask question before you jump if your at all uncertain. Such is always best...and few questions can be considered 'STEWPED" Not asking first if you have no certainty of direction certainly is.

BTW, Silver Fire would in fact offer the best possible image as far as improving the perception of Contrast, and the 8100 can use a bit of such assistance fer shur. Even if Ambient Light is no concern, the combo of a darker Gray shade and Metallic reflectivity works to give one the best of both worlds. RS-MaxxMudd is a definite step in that direction, and cost less and is an easier "mix" to mix, but SF take you all the way home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts