AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post in this great forum, i've learnt a lot here!

So.. i'm really new to buying projectors (this'll be my first) so i'm far from an expert even if i have read a lot about projectors the last few days...

First, some background, projection room information:
  1. Projector will be in a room which is 14" deep by 8.75" tall by 10.8" wide
  2. Projector will be initially put on a table where it can be 6.5" to 9" from the wall, at a height of 1".
  3. Room has some ambient light (when looking at the wall to be projected on, ambient light comes in from the left, also a little from the back of the room)

Now, some usage information:
  1. I would like to watch some TV in the day, but will use it mostly for movies (home theater style) at night time when almost no ambient light gets into the room. What i mean by this is that I need it to be bright enough to handle some ambient light in the day but not too much for it to be not too bright when dark!
  2. I'm not crazy about 3D, its not a requirement. (I get dizzy when i watch 3D movies anyway) Wouldn't mind giving it a shot in the future.
  3. I'm not from the US, i live in Venezuela where access to US $ is very limited and are not cheap at all, therefore my budget is very limited (sadly) and can only get a sub 1000$ projector.
  4. 1080p is a must!
  5. Big warranty is always good, even if using it can be challenging (since i'd be taking the projector out of the US). Although having a large warranty brings me some peace of mind.
  6. I'm sure i'm missing some key information so, please ask away!

I've been looking into lots of projectors (mostly on amazon) and reading lots of reviews and so far i'm in between these two which apparently have great reviews and are inside my budget:
  • ViewSonic PRO8200 789$ (Cheaper, No 3D but dont care, "Crossover" projector, good for ambient light and dark rooms, 1.5:1 zoom!)
  • BenQ W1070 975$( More expensive, Lens shift!, Apparently has better blacks?, 1.3:1 zoom)

So.. when i compare both i see they are really alike, so i ask myself:

1. BenQ W1070 has slight lens shift, will that benefit me given my room setup?
  2. W1070 seems a lot newer than the PRO8200, is that good? bad?
  3. How reliable are each of these, does anybody know? (Consider id be shipping it out of the US and, while i know there are inherent risks when getting new tech like it being faulty, id like to minimize that risk!)
  4. In short, Is the W1070 worth the extra 180$?
  5. Is there another projector that i haven't considered?

Thanks a lot for your help! Really appreciate anything that can help me see the light!

Alejandro.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Viewsonic has a 3 year warranty on pj and 1 year on bulb, best standard warranty out there. Benq has 1 year on pj and 90 days on bulb. Viewsonic has done a firmware change that has introduced a lack of depth in dark material that was not present in earlier machines. Benq pj introduces slight noise into the picture that is not there. For the 180$ difference both have drawbacks. Optoma has options at your pricepoint. I guess you have seen dlp before? replacement bulbs on 8200 cost less than the 1070. at this price point both perform well other than the listed drawbacks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you coug7669!

Yes,warranty is so much better in the Viewsonic. That could probably mean it's been made with (more) quality in kind and that's a big plus for me.

What about the lack of lens shift? Do I really need lens shift?

Is that lack of depth really noticeable? Bear in mind I have only seen a couple of lcd projectors, mostly in class and offices (really standard xga ones) so no, I don't think I have ever seen dlp in action.

I'm wondering if I'm susceptible to the rainbow effect. If i make an effort i can see it sometimes in this test video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Which one ( W1070 vs PRO8200) has a faster color wheel speed/less rainbow effect?

Thank you, again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also a projector newbie. I just ordered a pro8200 (should be here in a few days). Ever since I saw my buddy's 13 foot diagonal screen 2 years ago I got the bug. Budget was the only thing holding me back. I found a refurbished 8200 for $600 and decided to go for it. My only concern right now is that the vertical offset puts the top of the screen 34 inches from the ceiling. I might try tilting it to see how the digital keystoning affects the image. Have you tried the projection calculator at ProjectorCentral? For the 8200 it's http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-Pro8200-projection-calculator-pro.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 8200 and besides needing a new BD player, it is great on my 92" screen.

The difference between a school projector and a Home Theatre projector is HUGE. This is the only Home Theatre projector I have seen, so I cant comment on others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.