AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many good things about this unit, but don't think I completely understand what it does.

I currently run an rp56 > vga breakout > 75u, but would also like to use it occasionally for NTSC or VCR viewing.

Will this unit improve the quality of VCR and NTSC sources?

Will it allow me to consolidate and run only the breakout cable to the pj via the VB50?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It can pass through the progressive component signals of RP56 (or HTPC VGA) into its VGA passthrough port and send it out via VGA out into PJ's VGA input. Thus, your PJ has to support progressive component into its VGA port (like a lot of business PJ) for this to work. If it does it provides a nice way to switch between RP56 and TV/VHS via VB50's remote control. It's worth it IMHO as 1) allows scaling to SVGA to fit 4:3 image into XGA PJ's 16:9 area if you use 16:9 screen, 2) silent compared to HTPC for scaling, 3) remote controlled TV tuner (needs coaxial cable or OTA TV into coaxial input, 4) deinterlaces and scales (VGA/WVGA/SVGA/XGA) Svideo or composite signals (SVHS, VHS, LD, DSS, digital cable, etc.) better than Panny's internal video processor, 5) cheap ($90 from www.amazon.com with free shipping and coupons--at certain times). If it does not meet your expectation you can always use it with your PC monitor at work for a second HDTV compatible TV.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Huey, tks for your response on the vb50. I hope this is not a sidetrack to the original post - hopefully your answer will help others.

I have a couple of Q's on all the cabeling reqd (you've helped me on this subject before -TKS!!!). I am considering a vb 50 and want to be sure I get the right cables and not waste $$$ on ones I don't need.

Is this right... Component out of the DVD (three rca jacks) , in to the VGA pass thru port on the vb50 (VGA) - (is this called a "VGA Breakout "cable?), then VGA out to the pj (I have the HP xb31 with the rather oddball M1 input connector so will need a VGA to M1 cable which came with the pj - hallelua!!!). All other sources I have are s-video so out of my reciever with s-video to the vb50 and out of the vb 50 to the pj via s-video.

I'm getting lost in the wires here, thanks for your on-going assistance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dubya,

You almost got it right. There is no s-video out of the vb50. There is only VGA output as it's geared to drive a VGA display. The connections would go something like this:

DVD --> component/VGA cable (yes it's called a "breakout" cable) --> VB50 VGA pass thru connector

Receiver --> s-video --> VB50 s-video input

VB50 --> simple VGA cable --> PJ

A benefit that Huey didn't mention is that in this typical setup you only have 1!!! cable going to your PJ. No need to run additional (long and expensive) s-video or composite cables to your PJ. Unless, you want to for some other reason.

After this is setup you'd use the VB50 remote to switch between the DVD input and the Receiver one. Of course, you'd also have to change your source on your receiver to the right one.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The other detail that's important on your VGA breakout cable is the VB50 only takes FEMALE VGA for its pass through port which is VGA male. Most breakout cable comes with VGA male so you 1) have to buy a $5 adaptor to change its sex, 2) make your own by splicing 3 RCA coaxial cables (75 ohms, shielded) to a cut off end of a VGA female cable to pins 3, 4, 5 for positives R, G, B and pins 7, 8, 9 for negatives of R, G, B (search here for details as I can't for sure recall).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks guys! This really helps! My appologies to b-dog if I've side-tracked your post. The vb 50 sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.