AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the cheapest on the market and it has LED instead of laser.

Only problem is that like most of the other 4K UST projectors announced, it seems that it's a setup that doesn't have full DCI P3 support baked in, even though the REC709 coverage is over 100% for most.

Specs: MSRP $2799

• LED Light Source
  • 4K UHD
  • HDR
  • 2200 LED Lumens
  • Ultra Short Throw
  • TR: 0.25 (100”@0.55m)
  • Speaker turned by Harman Kardon
  • Auto V. keystone
  • HDMI, micro SD card reader x 1, USB Type-A x 3, USB Type-C x 1, Media Player S/PDIF x 1, Local storage
  • 30,000 hrs lamp life
  • WiFi, RJ45 (for internet & Alexa control), Bluetooth Technology, Smart TV
It looks nice from the front I think and like the LG it also has next gen USB-C support and the pricing is the lowest on the market outside of the Chinese manufacturers (although you can't usually get them for the Chinese price in the US).

Attachments

Reactions: Eagle13

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
According to the ViewSonic website it does support HDR. Also, I found this picture of their marketing card at CES. It claims 124% of Rec709, that translates to above 90% DCI-P3. The only drawbacks for me personally are the .25:1 throw most are .23:1 and the LG HU85L has a .19:1 throw ratio. Also, the “up to 100” is a little disappointing. Hopefully this is a conservative rating, and the focus/distortion has enough headroom for larger screen sizes. Lastly, there is no mention of 3D.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/news/viewsonic-launches-new-x-series-of-smart-4k-ultra-hd-led-home-entertainment-projectors

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That looks better then LG option at that price, assuming the whole " up to 100" " is a mistake

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That looks better then LG option at that price, assuming the whole " up to 100" " is a mistake

I doubt it’s a mistake. It’s really difficult to make a UST lens system. Even the slightest misalignment translates to noticeable distortion of the image. And the larger the distance the more noticeable it gets. A lot of the early model UST projectors were plagued with complaints about this. It seems to been less prevalent amongst newer models. I’m hoping this is just a conservative threshold, and this can be pushed a little beyond Viewsonics specification.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great for those with limited space though - there are some of us!

Who wouldnt love a 160 inch screen? However....do we all have that amount of room ?....noooooooo

So this does have its niche and the specs look very good.

This will be an interesting one to follow.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Most USTs will have pincushion distortion if you got over their suggested size...you could defeat this my making a diy screen and distorting it to the same degree, bringing the corners forward through use of wallspacers.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I don't know if he is correct on the price but he says $1800 in the video and the press releases were around $2800!! Huge difference, let's see how it plays out.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ahhh finally a valid alternative to the expensive LG and Optoma P1.

If they manage to get a low input lag (under 30-40ms), good HDR performances and better colour settings than Vava, we got something really interesting to wait for

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any updates on this unit, says spring 2019 though can't find anywhere
You have to take the release dates with a grain of salt...but I haven't seen any availability yet anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if I would want to spend close to $3000 for only 100 inches. That seems like $1000 too much. I really would like an ultra short throw 4K though. I'm really hoping BenQ comes out with something soon.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What's up with the UST craze? What about all of us who have a screen and power/hdmi already run for a "standard" setup?

I just want an LED or laser projector (for my own reasons, mainly bulb brightness/life) that can replace my current projector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any update on this? Since the LG flew off my radar with it's price announcement I'm waiting on this and the P1 before I make my decision. For the second topic I'm quite happy the UST is catching on. I had a standard setup for many years until I got a wife and kids when it was decided that a whole room dedicated for my theater could be put to better use... UST is something I can sell as a tv replacement so it has a much higher WAF.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's up with the UST craze? What about all of us who have a screen and power/hdmi already run for a "standard" setup?

I just want an LED or laser projector (for my own reasons, mainly bulb brightness/life) that can replace my current projector.
You're in the wrong forum for that...plenty of threads out there for your needs. Thanks. 🙄

Reactions: J Bone and bjanssen
1 - 20 of 38 Posts