AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of these brands when it comes to speaker drivers. Aren't they owned by the same Danish company? What I read, and I quote, is that "In purely objective terms, the Vifa P13WH-00-08 and Scan-Speak D2905/9500 are the flattest, most neutral drivers in the world". The Ariel & ME2 speakers (DIY loudspeakers) and also nOrh are the ones I know who use these drivers. They claim to make the best drivers in the world, Scanspeak for tweeters and Vifa for woofers. I am curious, are they really the best? Are there any well-known loudspeaker manufacturers who use them for their drivers?

The Ariel & The ME2

nOrh

Vifa/Scanspeak speakers

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
To say Vifa and Scan-Speak make "the best" drivers in the world is a bit presumptuous, but they are certainly among the best...if not actually THE best.

Triad uses the more expensive Scan-Speak drivers in twelve of our speakers, and many more Vifa drivers in other speakers. The suckers are expensive. The Scan-Speak R-29 tweeter with the phase plug which we use in our Gold Monitors actually has almost flat frequency response to 60 kHz, which is comparable to a good ribbon driver. Krell and Sonus Faber also use Scan-Speak drivers, but not the tweeter as expensive as the R-29.

Yeah, they're the real deal, but there are a few other high-end drivers that may equal them, to be fair. Triad likes the drivers, and the people at Vifa/Scan-Speak, who custom design drivers for us.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Vifa and ScanSpeak make terrific drivers. QC and reliability are usually first rate as is the sound. Are they the best? Actually there is no best, only the best for specific applications . . . and that they are:)

P.S. the cost of a given driver is not always indicative of it's suitability for a given design, or it's performance potential. I've measured, listened to, prototyped with, and built with a lot of drivers over the years. Some very pricey units greatly disappointed, and some very reasonably priced units turned out to be real gems.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I built a pair of North Creek "Rhythm-Revelators" which is based on ScanSpeak drivers you can check them out here.

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/NorthCreekKits.html

They truley are the finest speakers "I" have yet to here and I'm not saying that because I built them. Read the whole site George Short knows what he's doing and does it very well. The Rhythms are the ones on the far left in the first picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.