Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

cutsheets for the new DUNE and the WAVE are online.

only waiting for the products now......
Cutsheet DUNE

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well, I for one am anxious to get reports on how a digital throughput solution looks using the Faroudja chipset.

Uwe, I gather the output is limited to 60 hz, did you finally decide not to offer 72? That limits its utility with certain plasmas, and the DILAs prefer the higher refresh too.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
From my experiences with HTPCs 72 Hz has issues of its own. I'm guessing that the F chip doesn't help in this respect. The 120Hz supoort should help some display devices.

Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

If someone can post these informations ...

Price ?

Availability ?

Test report ?

Thanks ! ;)

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
It is so nice to see a nice company like Vigatec come out with a scaler of this magnitude.

Will there be 1080i to 1080p capability? With increasing amounts of 1080i material as well as the new D-VHS format, more and more people are requesting the ability to convert 1080i to 1080p.

Further, HD1 and HD2 DLP owners and other 720p/768p display owners would like to convert 1080i to 1080p and then downscale to 720p/768p.

How are these issues being addressed?

Any word on development for an SDI output card for the Meridian 800?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Wow,

I go on a cruise for a week, and miss everything ;)

By the way, I went on my first cruise ever (Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda) , absolutely fantastic, exceeded my expectations... The HT Cruise should be fantastic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

Here are my last informations :

Price (France) : 9'000 Euros without the SDI option :(

Sspears ;) ,

Have you got already plan to test this new scaler ?? I'm impatient to read your review !!!

Thank's

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I've had a dune with SDI for about 3 months now :(/ How is this unit going to make me want to purchase or upgrade my current Dune with SDI?

Is this unit really that much better? Or is it a 5% to 10% better type of thing?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
If anyone can address these issues, please do so:

Will there be 1080i to 1080p capability? With increasing amounts of 1080i material as well as the new D-VHS format, more and more people are requesting the ability to convert 1080i to 1080p.

Further, HD1 and HD2 DLP owners and other 720p/768p display owners would like to convert 1080i to 1080p and then downscale to 720p/768p.

How are we going to deal with these situations?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The brochure says it scales 1080i to 1080p, but for $9000 it should. :)

Frankly, I need SDI in, DVI in, and DVI out, and $9k is too much IMO. (BTW, 1 USD ~ 1 EUR)

Ken

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Also, would you convert 1080i to 540p then upscale to 720p/768p, or would you convert 1080i to 1080p then downscale to 720/768p?

I've heard yo can convert 1080i to 540p, but I don't see how you do that without throwing away half of the information/resolution. Wouldn't converting to 1080p then dounscaling to 720p/768p preserve more resolution--in otherwords you are only throwing away300 lines of original info? Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think Uwe has hinted at that those of us who already have a Vigatec of any kind would be out of luck basically in trying to go for the upgrade. It's a matter of hardware, not software, and whatever needs to be added on is just too involved and not practical, money wise. Oh well...I'm still enjoying my SDI 1280. Can't believe it can get any better than this anyway.

Luca

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
propeller_beach,

It really depends on Uwe's expectation - if he *wants* to upgrade existing customers or not. Obviously, it's a big hastle for him to upgrade existing customers. Basically replace their working units with new units that might need more support - for much less money + he has to get back the "old" unit (and what would he do with it). A big headache.

However, it's good PR. Basically - his call...

Key Digital, for example say they'll give existing KD customers a discount (i.e., they'll have 2 different scalers at the end of the day).

BTW, the Euro to $ conversion is more like 1Euro= 0.9$

·
Registered
145 Posts
1Euro = 0.95 $

The exchange rate got better for us the last months.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
How will the upcoming Vigatec processor handle 1080i to 1080p conversion? Will it use dual chips for 1080i to 1080p conversion as found in the Faroudja 5000? It sounds like what Faroudja does with the 5000 is to break the 1080i signal into 540i and then convert to 540p per each chip, then sum the two outputs into 1080p.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.