AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wandering if there is any special equipment to buy or if the Vig can simply handle the signal via rca to vga?

Also anyone scaling DVHS yet?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Hank,

You brought up some good points. What display device do you have?

In any case, the upcoming Vigatec is supposed to be able to do 1080i to 1080p conversion. Does this mean we can connect component 1080i to the Vigatec from the D-VHS 1080i component output ? This would also eliminate the need to purchase a Key Digital Transcoder...

What about people who require 720p/768p? Can those people use the Vigatec to convert 1080i to 1080p, then select 720p or 768p output?

Believe me I'd rather just have a 1080p capable display device, but I don't currently have the $ to change my projector to something that will handle 1080p.

The other consideration is to just live with the 1080i output and buy a Key Digital Transcoder for D-VHS, assuming you need RGBHV connection to your projector. What do you use for a projector?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The Dune has been able to do 1080i->1080p for some time...albeit with a filtered resolution along the lines of something like 1400x1080p according to those in the know. With the change in chipsets, I'm wondering if this limitation disappears and the Dune will start to act like a DVP5000 with true 1920x1080p output for 1920x1080i inputs.

As a former DVP5000 owner, I can say that even the big F didn't do perfect 1080p output from 1080i inputs...there were some strange video anomalies that were added, along with some noise. I ended up selling the unit, although it would be neat to see what it could do with D-Theater on my G90. Alas, I'm all out of $$$ for such toys! :)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Thanks, Alan...makes sense, I guess. Do you know if the Dune will employ a similar setup to retain their 1080i->1080p capabilities since they're changing chips?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I specifiacally want to go thru the vigitec to my projector. I have a Runco IDTV II. I can do up to 768P. I might want to scale 1080i to that or may be content just passing it thru. However, it doesn't make much sense buying anything else if I can make the right wiring connections from the deck. I'm running component out of my DVD into the vig with a standard VGA to 5 RCA connector. I'm wandering if I can either use the same type of cable or solder another cable.

Adding $300 for a transcoder is too much right now since there are not many titles I want. In fact only 1 ID4. Then Fight Club, but otherwise I'll wait for a 2nd gen unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.