AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll get around to checking out exodus this weekend....Exodus might be a little painful because the movie is garbage, but I Guess i'm interested in seeing how the blu ray looks on this tv since the HDR version looked incredible on my JS9500.
As fafrd indicated in the opening post, the main thrust of this thread is related to real-world content, specifically blu-rays. (Since repeatability with OTA or streaming content will vary depending on a whole host of factors.) This is to ultimately assist those in trying to determine to what extent their sets might have with vignetting issues.

Near-black slides are used to compliment the real-world content and is to be used as a point of reference. So while I'm happy to produce some near-black reference screenshots, the onus is really on you to supply blu-ray screenshots that exhibit vignetting...along with your own near-black reference screenshots.

Of course, if I experience vignetting in content I will certainly post those shots as well.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
1) Exodus
2) Gravity
3) Prometheus
4) Interstellar
5) sin City 1 and 2
I don't have timestamps but Prometheus was on TV last night. When they land on the alien planet, send the mapping drones through the cave, and are walking around and taking their masks off is another good test sequence for vignette. The cave itself is very dark and they are walking around with flashlights so you get a lot of partially illuminated surfaces on the edge of the screen.

:edit: Another thing about screenshots though is that motion contributes to the vignette effect. Since the darkened edges are a static effect on the screen, camera panning in a dark area exaggerates the effect since the vignette isnt changing but the picture is. This is similar to how banding is more obvious when watching sports.

The alleyway gunfight in dark knight rises I referenced in my post above is a perfect example of vignette in motion being exaggerated.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As fafrd indicated in the opening post, the main thrust of this thread is related to real-world content, specifically blu-rays. (Since repeatability with OTA or streaming content will vary depending on a whole host of factors.) This is to ultimately assist those in trying to determine to what extent their sets might have with vignetting issues.

Near-black slides are used to compliment the real-world content and is to be used as a point of reference. So while I'm happy to produce some near-black reference screenshots, the onus is really on you to supply blu-ray screenshots that exhibit vignetting...along with your own near-black reference screenshots.

Of course, if I experience vignetting in content I will certainly post those shots as well.
Perhaps alexanderg823 could point out som problematic timestamps (with screenshots) from Exodus and you post the same screenshots along with 1% 2% and 3% greyscale shots...

The goal of this thread is to try to get to some repeatability and common reference scenes for assessing this Vignetting issue ;).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Perhaps alexanderg823 could point out som problematic timestamps (with screenshots) from Exodus and you post the same screenshots along with 1% 2% and 3% greyscale shots...

The goal of this thread is to try to get to some repeatability and common reference scenes for assessing this Vignetting issue ;).
Right... I don't want to go hunting for vignetting issues for the sake of looking for them. alexanderg823 obviously has an issue with his set, so if he could reproduce that using a Blu-ray that I have I would be happy to take my own screenshot of the same scene along with my own commentary on what I observe while the scene is in motion.

alexanderg823...I'm not trying to be difficult -- though it may appear that way. :). It's just that I think the methodology that fafrd laid out would be of the most use for others.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Here are some pics of my 55EG9600 in the game called "SOMA", which apparently uses the black/grey band that really brings out the flaw in this panel.
everything about that game is eye cancer! but the banding is real :( (i noticed it too.. and then returned the game :) - man i love steam's return policy )
Assuming you are playing on a PC. What helped me (sadly not fix) with the issue was switching color to 12bit and RGB/Full. I assume you are using deep blacks already (TV setting).

the ps4 can do 4:4:4 too .. (maybe the xbox one too.. )
I haven't turned either on in a long time :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Seems like this thread has died. Does that mean there are no issues in regular content?

Don't have an OLED to verify, but you guys should test Godzilla 2014. The vast majority of that movie takes place in near-dark. I would be amazed if that doesn't bring out the vertical streaks and edge issues. You should also test some dark TV series (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Arrow). They tend to be shot with lower budgets and lighting quality so you end up with lots of sparse indoor sets with cameras panning over bland colored walls, skies, etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Seems like this thread has died. Does that mean there are no issues in regular content?
I probably will not be able to do some serious "critical watching" for another week. (Real Life is getting in the way this week). I can say that there are no issues (vignetting or DSE / streaking) in the content I have watched so far. (Sports, FiOS channels, a couple movies, including an hour or so of a black and white movie, some prometheus but nothing else specifically "dark".)

Don't have an OLED to verify, but you guys should test Godzilla 2014.
Funny you should say that. It just so happened that one of the first movies that I tuned in over the air when I first turned on the set (FiOS channel, not streaming service or blu-ray) was Godzilla 2014. I only watched for a few minutes. I did not notice any vignetting, but I did see some DSE / streaking in the "dark / foggy" scenes. Keep in mind that this was on a virgin panel (literally 1-2 hours) so zero compensation cycles had been run. At some point after next week I will revisit.

My family are Walking Dead fans...so we will for certain be watching that. That will be an interesting exercise...if I search and find any DSE...will my family notice? :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So far my 65" Ef is doing very well. Slides down to 2% seem near perfect. A little bit of edge issue at 2% on the right side in 3 small places but that's it and haven't encountered it yet in actual content

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So far my 65" Ef is doing very well. Slides down to 2% seem near perfect. A little bit of edge issue at 2% on the right side in 3 small places but that's it and haven't encountered it yet in actual content
Lucky you ;).

I just added a new thread to poll 65EF9500 quality/defect rate: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2159961-65ef9500-vignetting-yellow-banding.html

Please vote - every new 65EF9500 owner that got a defect-freewheel is good news for LG...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Lucky you

I just added a new thread to poll 65EF9500 quality/defect rate: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2159961-65ef9500-vignetting-yellow-banding.html

Please vote - every new 65EF9500 owner that got a defect-freewheel is good news for LG...
The caveat though is that yellow aura on the right hand side in whiter scenes...goes away when viewed slightly off angle... Also noticed it when I was running calibration slides that were windowed...could see it slightly against the black of the slide

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Weird I looked at my 2% slides last night after not looking for a few days.

Definitely changed a bit.

THe left side is almost completely vignette free, whereas the right side has become bigger. Before it was more or less even on both sides.

Tempted to just hold out for a while and let it keep doing its thing.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Weird I looked at my 2% slides last night after not looking for a few days.

Definitely changed a bit.

THe left side is almost completely vignette free, whereas the right side has become bigger. Before it was more or less even on both sides.

Tempted to just hold out for a while and let it keep doing its thing.
Mine was like that from the get go... Left side is good with actual extra light lower left corner, but 3 little black flames on the right side extending an inch in. I also noticed the spot where the yellow aura is on my windowed slides where it is black on the left side you could see faint light on the right

·
Registered
631 Posts
How many hours do your have on your set now Wjboshart and what about you alexanderg823? Also how many compensation cycles to you estimate have been done?

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
How many hours do your have on your set now Wjboshart and what about you alexanderg823? Also how many compensation cycles to you estimate have been done?
I've had the unit for about 2 and a half weeks now. Used it for 3 weekends at 24+ hours per weekend, so I'd say I'm probably at at least 100 hours

·
Registered
21 Posts
I originally posted these vignetting pics in the EG9600 owners thread and have since traded out for an EF9500.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1929089-official-owners-thread-2015-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-post37324898.html#post37324898

The Blu-ray is Zero Dark Thirty and I could see the issue at any point during the raid on the UBL compound (end of movie) as it is always a dim, night-time scene except when the POV is night vision. I don't know the timestamp, but my set was a 65EG9600 June 506 build. Also, I don't have the set anymore so I'm not sure what the contrast or brightness settings were. I had about 20 hours on the panel and it was factory settings aside from a firmware update.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm about to go to a store to test things out. Could someone link me to where I can find the slides that test uniformity?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'm about to go to a store to test things out. Could someone link me to where I can find the slides that test uniformity?

Thanks
I'm sure this is a tad late, but in the avs forum just search for avs rec 709 calibration disc. Should pop up with something

21 - 40 of 81 Posts