AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, looking at the VIM schematic, I thought about the possibility to build a serious linear power supply (+-5V only) to feed the CLC449 and AD835 directly. Total 6 chips, nothing more. That's not too difficult as any ic is fed throught a couple of SMD resistors.

I'm really very curious then to check performances on screen! Really.

Has someone experiences with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Jea Hong Lee did his entire Marquee with linear power supplies. I posted some pics of it in the screen shot war thread. That thread is so large i don't even want to find it. I am getting a Belleson Super regulator soon and am going to lift the fuses on the +5 volt rails

and feed the http://www.belleson.com/ with the 15 volt rail. then take the 5 volt output of the belleson and tie it into the fuses. This way it can power the Moome card as well.

Jea Hong Lea's power supplies

5 and 15 volt supplies

VNB 85 volt rails.

http://blog.paran.com/pcaudio#

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nashou66,

it'd be a good idea to lift 5+ fuses and measure exact current draw. These fuses have 3A and the regulator you'd like to use can deliver up to 2A. Furthermore I believe that the CLC449 and AD835 are the most important as they're direclly on the signal. Also a separate linear regulator for the Moome card might be interesting (but I should check how many tensions it needs).

Maybe a good big power supply on the whole VIM is better or... maybe not.

Also, and this is the reason I asked if someone has direct experience, someone believe that switching mode PS are better for video.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I think if i put a large enough heat sink on the belleson Regulator they can go higher in AMP rating from what Bob Stephan has told me(he is the one with this idea
)

I think that the op amps will draw more that 2 amps. The moome card does have a location for a regulted power supply of its own. So i might try two things. First add it on the VIM then only on the Moome card.

Athanasios

1 - 4 of 4 Posts