AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for a new fun project for a friend of mine who is currently running his vinyl collection through some very bad components. I brought up the idea of building something a little better and he bit.

Stylistically I know he likes the older vintage look...single box, 3 way design, mesh/fabric cover. I thought about doing Paul Carmody's Tarkus build but with 90 degree angles, but wonder if any of you have other recommendations. I'd like to keep component cost around $200, not including cabinet and finishing.

We will be running it through a 50WPC tube amp.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Do your friend a favor and set a base line of performance using REW to measure the speakers and the room
\then when you see what is missing,
you'll have a better idea of what you might do

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You might want to invest in some.

Reactions: asarose247

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I appreciate the sentiment, it's not a super helpful comment.

I'll just go back to the drawing board on my own.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Sorry you feel that way. Good luck with your project (y)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your response. I was planning on a fresh build with a new cabinet and all. I didn't want to pick drivers to fit an existing cabinet volume, etc. Some designs lend themselves for a more vintage look than others.

My builds in the past have been slightly more modern or geared towards home theater applications, so this will be a little different.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah basically! I may just need to pick a design to make and then do the cover to make it "vintage" ha ha

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice box, wood veneer or solid wood if you want to spend the money and then the cheesecloth. Next, blow people away with how great the vintage speakers sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will probably do veneer rather than solid wood just to minimize resonance in the cabinet. But yeah I like the "sleeper" look for him

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
While I appreciate the sentiment, it's not a super helpful comment.

for only about max $125, you'll be able to begin with the end in mind . . .

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Carmody Classix II has a bit of that "vintage" sound to it and produces decent bass. You can easily make those into a vintage look if you so desired (just buy the kit sans enclosure). 8 ohms too, so they won't kill an amp. There are several others like that as well. No need to re-invent the wheel unless you really want to.

Are you dead-set on a three-way speaker though?

And don't worry about measurements. This is for 2-channel vinyl with no sub, correct? If so, you'll be fine without them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Good points.

Not dead set on a 3way setup. Just was thinking about something with a bit more oomph for a 2ch set up.

I modified the center channel of Carmody's swope HT design into a "bookshelf" 2ch set up for my home office and honestly they sound amazing. So that's my only experience with building a 3way 2ch solution. I've done a couple of other 2ways like the speedsters and the Helix Mats which were good but not quite as good as the modified swope design

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Do you have a budget? If you want to build an excellent 3-way there's always the Dennis Murphy BMR. It's expensive though.

But if it's just something fun that sounds good for vinyl for not a lot of money, I think you'd have a hard time beating something like the Classix II. The only thing is that speaker lacks a bit of detail, but unless they listen to a lot of audiophile Jazz/classical, they probably won't be bothered by it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow that's a pretty impressive design! More than we are planning for his build, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind!!!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
that "vintage" sound to it and produces decent bass . .
Empire turntable $200 -yikes
cartridge $100
records with "decent bass" ? dubiously
when I had 6 of the AR 2ax's and the 2 Dynaco 120's pounding away in a barracks room for 8 bodies, BERLIN USASAFSB
subwoofer? what's that?
there was that 30" paragon woofer
Remember the Lafayette Catalogs?
nobody could figure out what to do with . .
and 5 equalizer bands on my Citation 11 pre-amp-yeah- vintage
we don't need no stinking "Bass and Treble controls"- how antiquated is that?
plenty of lockers and beds and concrete walls . . .
room treatments- probably would have been pizza, beer and goodies for the munchies
50 years has brought a lot of improvements and the loss of some hearing . .
while there may be some things from the last century worth preserving
"vintage" sound ? you're not even in the same "vintage" room

wanna see something vintage? go look in the mirror.
also go look around in the 2 channel threads

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not sure what's got you all knotted up.

Not looking for vintage sound. Just thinking about aesthetics. Keeping it simple for a friend of mine.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
This is a weird thread. I guess if the question isn't DIY subwoofer related people don't seem to care?

And there's nothing wrong with vintage sound. The set of Marantz Imperial 6G's that I picked up recently still sound fantastic. In search for "ultimate accuracy" we seem to have lost some of the fun that once existed in audio.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts