AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has bought a Medion Vinyl player (don't know whether this brand is known in the US. They bascially make laptops, keyboards and other electronics at cheap warehouse prices). It cost around $110,00 so it is basically a cheap thingy.

I'm looking for a few recommandations for a phono pre-amp and some speakers. I think they'll likely spend less than 300$.

I also have (as always
) some accompanying questions:

1) How do the RCA outputs on the pre-amp connect to the speakers? The speaker types I know have terminals where bare speaker wire fits and I don't see how I can fit an RCA cable in it?

2) Do the speakers have to be Ohm (impedance) matched with the preamp and the player? Or does any combo of pre-amp and speakers just work?

And lastly, I've looked at a few pre-amps and I'm have trouble understanding what the spec's mean I have bolded:

Phono MM/MC selection switch located at the rear of the unit

Metal case shields the electronics from vibrational and electromagnetic interference

Small size allows installation close to record player

Special low-noise ICs used

Optimal channel separation through dual-mono circuitry

Gold plated RCA connection sockets

Outboard power supply included

Pro-Ject Phono Box USB Technical Data

Input impedance, MM 47kohms/120pF

Input impedance, MC 100ohms/120pF

Gain, MM 40dB

Output voltage typically 300mV/1kHz at 3mV/1kHz (MM input)

Gain, MC 60dB

Output voltage typically 300mV/1kHz at 0,3mV/1kHz (MC input)

Max. output 9,5V (1kHz)

Noise floor, MM 86dB (94dB - A weighted)

Noise floor, MC 68dB (75dB - A weighted)

THD, MM 0,01%

THD, MC 0,05%
RIAA-equalisation curve accuracy 20Hz - 20kHz / max. 0,5dB

A/D converter -Bit Delta Sigma

USB output digital serial data protocol USB 1.1

Operating systems Windows®, MacOS® and Linux®

THD 0.005%

Noise floor 96dB

Dynamic range 93dB

Outboard power supply 16V/200mA AC, suitable for your country's mains supply

Power consumption 16V/100mA AC

Dimension W x H x D 103 x 38 x 115mm

Weight 570g without power supply

many thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
First question: Are you sure the turntable doesn't have a built-in phono preamp? Almost all the cheap ones do here in the States. Check the manual. There should be a switch that says something like 'phono/line." Choosing line kicks in the preamp.

You can't generally connect a preamp to speakers. The typical set-up is:

turntable>phono preamp>preamp>amplifier>speakers

Sometimes, as I said, turntables include phono preamps. Sometimes amp and preamp (and maybe even phono preamp) are built into one unit called an integrated amp. If it also has a radio tuner, it's called a receiver.

Start by investigating the turntable. Then we can advise you more effectively.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that tip was golden. In the manual the L+R RCA outs are called line out. So that means I just need an amplifier. I didn't know what that meant so I assumed a phono preamp was required.

All that is left is to pick up an amp and a pair of speakers. Easy! I'm still going to get an amp with phono in though, you never know they'll upgrade the turntable

Thanks again. Another thing learnt.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
You'll need an amp with a volume control. Most amps do not have that feature. Get either an integrated amp - or better yet (and cheaper) get a 2 channel receiver. Receivers are integrated amps with the radio built in - nothing special yet so many around here swear the integrated amps are better than a plain ole receiver. Go figure.

Anyway ShopOnkyo.com has a nice 50wpc receiver for under $100 if you join their Club Onkyo. The model is the TX-8255. I have one and it sounds pretty damned good - especially for what I paid. I have it driving a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 speakers that will set you back all of $130 shipped from B&H Photo-Video or Amazon. My garage has never sounded so good. I'm using an old Harman Kardon DVD 38 to spin up the CDs. I have no time to spin up vinyl when I'm in the garage. The 8255 has a phono section but I have no idea of how good it might be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.