AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my first Vinyl to Digital Transfer today. For my first vinyl to wav to CD transfer, I picked Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Cotillion SD 9040), an LP that's been in storage for 13 years.

For vinyl LP recording, I use a Dell Optiplex GX400 running Win2K with the OEM sound card. Audacity 1.3 Beta creates a wav file on the hard drive. Then Winamp 5.572 burns the wav file to CD-R.

Now I can play the wav file on my PC/ Winamp music server or the CD-R on any CD-R compatible CD player. The wav files on the hard drive is 838 MiB for about 41:22 min:sec of music. The CD-R works in my Sharp DX-650 CP player.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference between the vinyl, the wav file, or the CD. I suspect I have some more tweaking to do. Such as setting the Input Volume (in Audacity) to avoid clipping.

A summary of the audio signal path follows.

1. The Phillips GA312/ Stanton 681 EEE (turntable/ cartridge) with OEM RCA phono cables inputs to the phono input of the Yamaha RX-797 (receiver). The Yamaha RX-797 is set to PURE DIRECT mode.

2. From the RX-797 MD/TAPE OUT, a 6 feet RadioShack audio y-cable (dual RCA phono male to 1/8 stereo male, gold plated) sends the analog signal to the LINE IN of the OEM sound card (Analog Devices Inc., model SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio) in the Dell Optiplex GX400.

3. The software used is Audacity 1.3 Beta set to record at 88.2 KHz, 32-bit float. Other settings are Rate Converter: High Quality Sinc Interpolation; Dither: Shaped.

4. Then, Winamp 5.572 burns the wav file to CD-R on a MAD DOG 16XDVD9A4 DVD/CD reader/writer installed in the Dell Optiplex GX400.

Vinyl to digital path
_____________________________Analog_________________________ ___
Phillips GA312/ Stanton 681 EEE/ = OEM RCA analog cables =>> |
Yamaha RX-797 receiver --------------------------PHONO IN > |
SoundMAX LINE IN

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I do like Trance88.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I find that I get my best vinyl transfers using a Xitel inport. It has RCA input and usb output. You can actually go directly from the turntable to the computer without using a reciever or sound card in the chain.

This gives me the least amount of conversions and points of possible noise.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
While you may want to tweak some things, you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the WAV file and the vinyl, that's the whole point of using lossless. You also might want to try ripping to FLAC in audacity. It will give you the fidelity but use less room on your hard drive. Just make sure the WinAmp can play back FLAC. Have fun. It's a very time consuming hobby but a lot of fun at the same time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Right now I'm still in the R&D phase and trying to hammer out what I want to do with the PC music server. Then I'll compile the associated requirements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/18137348

I find that I get my best vinyl transfers using a Xitel inport. It has RCA input and usb output. You can actually go directly from the turntable to the computer without using a reciever or sound card in the chain.

This gives me the least amount of conversions and points of possible noise.

Thank you for your response. Are you happy with your Xitel INport?

From their website, it seems that the Xitel INport Deluxe does NOT have a phono preamp. If you "go directly from the turntable to the computer without using a reciever or sound card in the chain" your not using a phono preamp and not getting the correct signal level at the INport AND not getting the RIAA equalization correction for the turntable.

The Xitel website has no specs on the INport product. It does not even tell you the sampling rate and bit depth of the product.

At least with the OEM soundcard (Analog Devices Inc.- AC’97 2.1 SoundMAX- AD1885) in my PC, I know what I'm getting, even it's only 48 KHz/ 16 bit/ 2CH.

At this point, the M-Audio Transit is looking better to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.