AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm 56 so grew up listening to records but dumped records for digital when CDs came out and mostly never looked back. Until the vinyl revival wave came, which helped revive my own interest in vinyl.
Great points. I resonate with a lot of them too.

Personally, I never bothered going streaming. I like owning physical products and I have a lot of them, I don't investigate new movies voluntarily anymore as I still haven't went through everything I already have, and probably never will.

The vinyl surface noise has always been my biggest issue, but other than that the product is so much more pleasing. As I said earlier, the best combination would have been if CDs came out housed in vinyl sleeves.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
the best combination would have been if CDs came out housed in vinyl sleeves.
I'd buy that.:)

. . . and. . . and how about an adapter so you can play your CD on a phonograph player sort of like this. :D

I used to sell a combo LaserDisc and 5 CD player.

10 points to the first person who can post a combo CD/LP player for real. [They've got to exist but I can't think of any off the top of my head.] Playing other formats like cassette are not allowed. Just CD and LP.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd buy that.:)

. . . and. . . and how about an adapter so you can play your CD on a phonograph player sort of like this. :D
Sadly, one of the attractions CDs tried to offer is to save place and replace bulky things for small ones.
Such an adapter would have been even better :D Those hybrids would need something in the size of a 12" record so the sleeve isn't all flimsy due to not housing anything in it but a small disc.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts

·
Registered
15,366 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
I also never understood the attraction in belt driven TTs.
If you happen to have one of these just gathering dust I'll be glad to take it off your hands. :D

I wonder if for the $650,000 price tag they happen to throw in a free, extra belt? If so, I'm in. :)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Assuming for sake of argument that means say 3,000 LPs,
More like 6000.

Sounds like a big project because I assume you can't devote every single waking moment to just this project.
Thanks for doing the numbers as I hadn't. I could easily do a few/day whilst doing other things, but, yeah it's a lot of time. Might have to carve it down to the one's I don't have on CD, especially those that are rare and/or were early poor transfers to CD.

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
It is a fact that the catalog on LP is limited. Of what's happening in music now -- whether pop, jazz, or classical -- only a small subset is available on LP. To some, it doesn't matter, but does to me.
Most modern pop/rock is so awful musically I hate it. Can't bear rap. Can't see the point of paying a serious premium for vinyl with music I don't really like. Plus the way vinyl is processes will spoil great modern releases such as NIN stuff.

The Technics? It should be on my list, then, if I ever buy a TT again.
That's the one. I owned 12 at one stage as I bought an entire radio station's stock when they went fully digital. It's a brilliant deck and quieter and with better W&F than any BD or idler I've ever seen. They bring some serious $ these days though. A non DJ'd SL1200 MkII is nearly as good.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
A non DJ'd SL1200 MkII is nearly as good.
:confused:Are you suggesting scratching/back cuing harms them? Or just that heavy, professional use of anything, not just DD turntables, in general means greater wear and tear than a typical consumer's use?

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you happen to have one of these just gathering dust I'll be glad to take it off your hands. :D
Haha, it was over 20 years ago. All I knew then was that the stupid belt needed replacing quite often and the 45/33 switch would not work properly. I had to take off the heavy plate to move it into the required speed. I used to do 45s marathons just so I don't need to deal with switching it back and forth this way. Most of the time I just wouldn't play them cause I cba with doing it.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
I play maybe one 45 for every 1000 LPs I play so any awkward changing procedure, even which theoretically took minutes rather than seconds, wouldn't much matter to me. But I guess it differs by individual.

Also I've seen belts last a decade or more without issue. At $10 a pop that's a pretty trivial expense of $1/year.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I play maybe one 45 for every 1000 LPs I play so any awkward changing procedure, which even took minutes rather than seconds, wouldn't much matter to me.

Also I've seen belts last a decade or more without issue. At $10 a pop that's a pretty trivial expense of $1/year.
It's a terrible format, but I had many from bands I collected and felt obliged to play them at time too. Overall it was just not a comfortable TT, heavy, bulky, needed too much maintenance. I didn't care (or knew) about any of the pluses at a younger age, only the disadvantages.
The belts cost is not the issue, it's having to replace them when they get saggy. Maybe I got sold crappy ones. The switching speeds part was the deal breaker for me. A new belt fix only lasted a few weeks.
Remember it wasn't Amazon days where you can choose between 300 different options and it arrives the next day at your doorstep.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Interestingly 45 RPM is superior in theory but in my experience inferior in practice, I guess because the people making them care more about the production quality of the 33 LPs? Not sure.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Interestingly 45 RPM is superior in theory but in my experience inferior in practice, I guess because the people making them care more about the production quality of the 33 LPs? Not sure.
Not really. 7" singles were always pretty crappy, those equaled one track on a 33 at slightly more spacious grooves. The 12" 45s are the ones with the better sound.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Yes, I guess I meant 45 is better than 33 with the same groove radius.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Good post.

CONS: Hate, hate, hate the form factor. Can not stand jewel cases which are ugly, not nice to hold, which break and snap at a moment's notice. At this point the CD itself seems superfluous to me: I see it as simply a carrier of the 1s and 0s which can be more conveniently stored on hard drives or streamed. So I don't want CDs to take up any physical space in my house at this point.

Ah, I knew there were things that I forgot to add to my list and as far as cons go, CD jewel cases are right up there near the top. I have broken my fair share of the either opening them or in a few rare instances, dropping them.

I also had an inexpensive carousel CD player that every once in awhile would get a CD bounced loose inside and I would have to disassemble it to recover the CD. None of those CDs ever got damaged but the player sure made horrible noises until I would remove the CD to free the mechanics up again. Never had anything like that happen with my turntable! LOL

I did have some of cassettes get 'eaten' in my car cassette player, though. That was even more common than the carousel getting CDs stuck. Grew to dislike cassettes a lot over time but then I would just buy blank tapes (Is it live or is it Memorex? ;) and then make my own recordings.

Diving back into my old-guy memory banks, I actually remember before going overseas, when I was stationed in El Toro California, that one of my barracks buddies had a portable 8-track player with attached speakers and maybe 30 8-track tapes. He would let me listen to that a lot when he was gone some weekends and that is actually where I started to get my first exposure to music that was not Top 40 radio stuff. Then when I went overseas, I was quite blown-away by the amount of quality stereo equipment for sale to us G.I.s at really reasonable prices. Some of the stores outside the bases were like car dealerships. You could go into the Sansui store, the Pioneer store, etc. and they would mostly have that particular brand and a few lesser know ones on display. The PX on many bases were very large and had loads of stereo equipment on display, too. That was a great experience other than the detrimental effect it had on my bank account! LOL

·
Registered
15,295 Posts

Could you elaborate on that?

I have some LPs that are 45 RPM (e.g. the great vinyl remastering of the Jaws soundtrack, some Jazz LPs, and some older original albums that had a 45 RPM track on one side, 33 on the other).

Thus far the 45s in my collection seem to sound particularly excellent.

How do 45s end up being inferior, in practice, in your experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
:confused:Are you suggesting scratching/back cuing harms them? Or just that heavy, professional use of anything, not just DD turntables, in general means greater wear and tear than a typical consumer's use?
Yes, the back cueing damages the arm bearings. The platter mechanism should be fine if it has not been abused.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Very good post, and though I'm not referring to you, there is an attitude among some Audiophiles that - It is MY WAY or the Highway.

Meaning, that there is only one right way to listen to music, and that is the way I listen to music.

It is pointless to argue that CD is better than Vinyl or that Vinyl is better than CD. There is room for all media and formats consistent with the personal taste of the listener.

Though never directly stated, there seems to be an underlying attitude that there is only one perfect way to listen to music. But if we think rationally that clearly isn't true.

All forms of music bring something to the table. None should be demanded, and none should be excluded.

If a person wants Vinyl, understands the equipment, the commitment, and then cost, then have Vinyl. It is not that complicated. But if you have Vinyl absolutely nothing prevents you from having CD and Streaming.

Today, a well constructed system will make use of all formats that the Listener/Audiophile is willing to commit time and money to. I use streaming sparingly because, my place is small and not really necessary. But ...that said... occasionally I do listen to Streaming Music. It sounds fine and is soooooooo very very convenient.

In a larger place with more money, I would certainly have all three, and if I had a house full of people living there (teenages, etc...) then a Streaming Service most certainly makes sense.

Now to be sure, I'm not claiming that anyone in this discussion (so far) is taking such a ridged attitude. But I've been in the forum for years, and in heated discussion, this attitude is taken.

There is no right or wrong, no need to condemn any format. If you want Vinyl, then have Vinyl, your money, your life. But, if you also want CD/SACD/Bluray-A that's fine too, no need to limit yourself.

If you are new to Vinyl, there is a cost/benefit analysis that has to be made, but any decision you make is the right decision ...if... it serves you.

And equally if a person wants ALL Streaming ALL the Time, that's fine too.

I'm a Vinyl Guy because I'm old and grew up in the age of Vinyl, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I also have CDs, much easier to get, much easier and safer to ship, and ...guess what... they sound fine.

And, as I said already, in difference circumstance, I have nothing against having Streaming, either local or Network. It is nice having a near unlimited access to Music. If I hear or hear of an artist that sounds interesting, I can Stream it for a while, and see if this is something I would like to buy. And ...yes... if I like it, I want to buy it in a physical format.

I do the same with Movies. I'll Stream a given movie, and if I've Streamed it twice and still want to see it again, then it is time to actually purchase a physical copy.

So ...again... while not strictly on topic, for the most part, all formats belong in all systems ... if you want them, and if the Cost/Benefit works out for you.

As a generalization, Stereo systems should be expanded, not restricted.

What ever works for you - works for me.

Just a bit of rambling.

Steve/bluewizard

41 - 60 of 226 Posts