3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using this plasma hdtv.

Viore 42" PDP42V18HA

• 42” screen with 16:9 aspect ratio

• ATSC digital tuner included for over-the-air HDTV broadcast reception

• 1024 x 768 native resolution for HDTV performance

• Beautiful color depth with a contrast ratio of 10000:1

• High luminance Plasma Display for brighter picture (1200 cd/m2)

• 480p, 720p, 1080i input capability

• HDTV compatible through HDMI and component video inputs

• Conventional video through S-video and composite video inputs

• VGA port for connection to PCBuilt-in speakers (5W x2)

My Dad bought me the Viore 42" PDP42V18HA Plasma HDTV as a gift from Walmart on BF. I've never had a plasma. Being paralyzed from the neck down and with no wheelchair equiped van I can't go to Walmart to take a look at the tv. If I accept the Viore PDP42V18HA and don't like it I can not go back to the Sony 32XBR2. I won't hurt his feelings like that, plus I'll have to get someone to come over and unpack it and switch the tv's and cables and don't want to bother them to do it twice if I can avoid it.

All those that have the Viore PDP42V18HA hdtv, can tell me about it?

Does it have red push?

What kind of overscan do it have?

I hear HD images on Plasma's appear to have more depth than on LCD's.

Is it true this 42" 1024 x 768 Plasma can have better looking depth (more 3 dimensional) than my 32" 1366 x 768 LCD on HD?

Am I better off just continuing to use the Sony lcd and forget the Viore plasma? I don't play video games and don't connect a PC to my tv's. I'm the only person that uses my tv's. I'll just be watching HD, SD tv and DVD's on it. Any info, opinions and suggestions accepted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased this set 2 days ago so here are my initial impressions.

Positives:

- Awesome PQ in both HD & SD. As good or better than my Hitachi 57f59.

- Decent amount of inputs at this price point. (1 more HDMI would be nice)

- Very quiet with the fanless design.

- No motion blur like Ive seen on LCDs.

- Value.

- No IR but I have been careful.

- No red push that I see.

- Overscan? Not able to answer at this time.

Negatives:

- Remote and manual sucks!!!

- It has been tough getting feedback or reviews about this set.

- Life expectancy may be short. Viore seems to have a bad rep on the limited reviews I have seen. Im willing to take the risk but others may not.

- The speakers are useless. I have a speaker system set up so no biggie.

All in all I can recommend this set based on PQ with a caution towards possible longevity problems.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input tracyexp. I use a programmable remote so the remote wouldn't be a problem. And I use a surround system too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, let's see. Bought this model from Wal mart on the blitz 1 1/2 yr ago. Thank goodness I bought the 2 yr warranty. I had problems about a month ago with a green haze. called warranty which may I say was great! quick and good. Repair shop said the screen was bad and part no longer available. Warranty center could not get a new screen for it either. Loved th TV up til this. Highly suggest sevice plan! I wound up with the tv back today and had one of my employees look at it. He used to work on tv's. He found the problem was the input board and found one on google search for 119.00. Don't always beleive the repair shop. Get second opinion. an NEVER when repair shop says not repairable let them keep the tv. I relly like this tv. just would suggest the warranty. I think i just got a bad draw. The viore site was no help at all. However this unit is made by Kia ( i think this is how you spell it. this is how it sounds, k long i u kiu) This company is leading in flat pannels and been around a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind a lcd is not quite as bright as a plasma but if 42" or smaller lcd is the way to go. if over 42" plasma is. 42" is in middle, either is good. LCD screen is not near as fragile as a plasma. NEVER haul or carry or tote either on flat, always standing or carriying on its bottom or top, standing up. never flat, screen will be destroyed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I bought this same television for my husband for Christmas 2006. The television sat in the box for 14 months because we were moving and remodeling and did not want to damage the set. We set the television up late January early February 2008 and only use it to watch dvd''s or videos. Less than one year of use...and not using it daily (maybe 3 times a week) the picture went out on the set yesterday. I researched the television and under CNET.forums Home & Audio Video is a section with over 300 posts; most of which are bad. It describes the same problem I have with my television. The video board is a known problem with this television. It appears that it is on back order. When I called the Viore Customer Care Center I was informed that I was out of luck. They will not fix it. I have to go through the Arkansas Attorney Generals Office to get this fixed. There is even a comment that Viore is buying these sets back. I do not know if this is true or not, but the numbers listed are 1-800-495-1872 and the fax # is 1-800-765-0259. I would strongly suggest a different brand of plasma television and to stay away from Viore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.