AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me with the pros and cons of these two devices? I want the 3d-xl but due to limited availability I dont believe I'm going to be able to locate one anytime soon. I've been able to locate a theatre to purchase but am a little wary not knowing much about it. I've been told its very similar to the 3d-xl. Any advice I'm running an optoma hd66.

Couple other questions Im using a 92" 16.9 screen and I've got an additional 18" I could move the projector back. I'm currently filling my entire screen. As usual I want a bigger screen lol. What could I upgrade to any advice on a larger screen, and what 18 more inches would get me?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nobody has a theater yet, so this is all based on supposition - but theoretically the theater has the advantage of CMS and other basic processing functions, and apparently has the ability to drop frames to produce a 60hz frame sequential image for more "normal" displays. It's also notably more expensive ($500 no glasses vs $400 with glasses).

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeezra /forum/post/20127256

Can anybody help me with the pros and cons of these two devices? I want the 3d-xl but due to limited availability I dont believe I'm going to be able to locate one anytime soon. I've been able to locate a theatre to purchase but am a little wary not knowing much about it. I've been told its very similar to the 3d-xl. Any advice I'm running an optoma hd66.

Couple other questions Im using a 92" 16.9 screen and I've got an additional 18" I could move the projector back. I'm currently filling my entire screen. As usual I want a bigger screen lol. What could I upgrade to any advice on a larger screen, and what 18 more inches would get me?

Thanks

sure

3D-XL is shipping noiw

VIP-Theatre doesn't have a release date, nor will VIP provide any indepth details

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark
sure

3D-XL is shipping noiw

VIP-Theatre doesn't have a release date, nor will VIP provide any indepth details
You can get lots of details, all you need to do is call, thats what I did.

3D-XL only works with certain equipment, so if you have that equipment thats great, if not oh well.

The theatre will work with many displays, and I should have one in my hands fairly soon, so although it is just talking right now, from what I'm told the VIP Theatre should run circles around the XL, we shall see.

No I don't work for them, just relaying what I know, instead of taking pot shots because Of what I don't.

Also they have there own forum over at curtpalme, for those that are interested.

Hopefully I will post more news when I get it.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezbrgr2 /forum/post/20130946

You can get lots of details, all you need to do is call, thats what I did.

3D-XL only works with certain equipment, so if you have that equipment thats great, if not oh well.

The theatre will work with many displays, and I should have one in my hands fairly soon, so although it is just talking right now, from what I'm told the VIP Theatre should run circles around the XL, we shall see.

No I don't work for them, just relaying what I know, instead of taking pot shots because Of what I don't.

Also they have there own forum over at curtpalme, for those that are interested.

Hopefully I will post more news when I get it.

How did you order?

On their website it only shows VIP-Gamer for sale and no real specifications on the VIP-Theatre

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfectdark, if you call them a guy named Jonathan says he's selling them under a "pre release price" of 499.99 plus shipping. He sends you an email with a paypal form. I'm a little skeptical of doing it until I see some of the people who have already ordered it, actually recieve it. They should have had them by now imo. I asked him why this was the only payement method and he stated " this protects you better"?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeezra
Perfectdark, if you call them a guy named Jonathan says he's selling them under a "pre release price" of 499.99 plus shipping. He sends you an email with a paypal form. I'm a little skeptical of doing it until I see some of the people who have already ordered it, actually recieve it. They should have had them by now imo. I asked him why this was the only payement method and he stated " this protects you better"?
$499 no glasses for a product by a "no-name" company seems iffy .... i'll stick with Optoma

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

I spoke with Jonathan many times because I purchased the VIP GAMER in preorder.

They did a great job with the shipping out of the USA (they are based in USA and I am in London).

The Gamer works very well and it is tiny (smaller than a XXS Freecome disk).

I also purchased the glasses from them. They work as well as the Optoma glasses I had and they are much sleeker.

Feel free to ask more questions,

Andrea

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may end up ordering one of these if the optoma's dont show up quick. But why would any legit company jack up the price 200 bucks on their product because theres a shortage of a similar product?

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/20146663

$499 no glasses for a product by a "no-name" company seems iffy .... i'll stick with Optoma

That's not really a fair evaluation of the product though; several points:

-Curt Palme has quite a positive reputation, and they vouched for the product.

-I've personally reviewed a 3d gamer, which was shipping to general public weeks ago (on time, unlike Optoma)

-I've had support questions answered from VIP, generally in under 1 day.

Compare that to:

-3dxl expected in December. Now march and they're FINALLY trickling out - slowly.

-I can forward you copies of th SIX support requests over a two-month period I've sent optoma about getting updated firmware for my projector. One was answered, and it included factually incorrect information and a non-answer.

-When my projector fan failed two weeks in, Optoma spent over a MONTH with the thing, usually not responding to emails.

-Not to mention Optoma's intent to charge $100 stupid-american-tax on every U.S. 3d-xl sale

So a "no-name" company with a very knowlegable, very responsive, well-known high-quality distributor vouching for it, distributing products ON TIME, responding to customers, beats the snot out of Optoma any day in my book. (at least, Optoma USA. I've spoken to Optoma EU a couple times and they actually seem responsive. Odd.).

As for the price, it claims all the functionality of the 3d-xl, plus adds color management and noise reduction. Its nearest really comparable competitor would be radiance's mini-3d, which is what, $1300 or so?

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeezra /forum/post/20148407

I may end up ordering one of these if the optoma's dont show up quick. But why would any legit company jack up the price 200 bucks on their product because theres a shortage of a similar product?

They didn't. $200 for 3d-gamer, $300 for 3d-displayer, $500 for 3d-theater. The 3d-gamer is 720p frame packed only (so pretty much PS3 and htpc only), 3d-displayer should be similar in function to the 3d-xl when released, and 3d-theater adds advanced processing functions such as cms and noise reduction.

At least, that's the info that's been discussed so far. The two unreleased products could change I suppose.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp /forum/post/20148748

That's not really a fair evaluation of the product though; several points:

-Curt Palme has quite a positive reputation, and they vouched for the product.

-I've personally reviewed a 3d gamer, which was shipping to general public weeks ago (on time, unlike Optoma)

-I've had support questions answered from VIP, generally in under 1 day.

Compare that to:

-3dxl expected in December. Now march and they're FINALLY trickling out - slowly.

-I can forward you copies of th SIX support requests over a two-month period I've sent optoma about getting updated firmware for my projector. One was answered, and it included factually incorrect information and a non-answer.

-When my projector fan failed two weeks in, Optoma spent over a MONTH with the thing, usually not responding to emails.

-Not to mention Optoma's intent to charge $100 stupid-american-tax on every U.S. 3d-xl sale

So a "no-name" company with a very knowlegable, very responsive, well-known high-quality distributor vouching for it, distributing products ON TIME, responding to customers, beats the snot out of Optoma any day in my book. (at least, Optoma USA. I've spoken to Optoma EU a couple times and they actually seem responsive. Odd.).

As for the price, it claims all the functionality of the 3d-xl, plus adds color management and noise reduction. Its nearest really comparable competitor would be radiance's mini-3d, which is what, $1300 or so?

thats all fair and your opinion... I emailed 3D-VIP "Jonathan" when i first found out of the site and he responded with the info and said he would send out future updates... I have sent at least 3-5 emails since then, inlcuding recently, with Zero response ... sounds like Optoma to me LOL

i'm happy your 3D-Gamer works as advertised, but what if it didn't? How are refunds and warranty issues handled? these are the questions that need to be answered. A website that still is under construction .... all too risky for some of us

I hope Jonathan is just too busy to reply and the VIP-Theatre is as awesome as it sounds..... because i too am really hating Optoma

Can we get a Full, pics, indepth review of the 3D-Theatre? would be great

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thats a mistake on my part I guess. 500 bucks seems reasonable if it can do what they claim. I'm about ready to pull the trigger, I'm sick of waiting on optoma.

·
Registered
460 Posts
but thats just it what are they claiming it does? Why is it $100 more than the 3D-XL and doesn't even come with glasses? Vague info on website, no response to emails..... how can one even "pull" the trigger if no one reponds to their emails

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The website thing seems a little suspicious. Am I wrong for taking the wait and see approach with them. Jonathan has answered all of my emails I might add, but all of them involved payement method lol.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I just dont understand why the theater is for sale? Then why isnt it on their website? Doesnt make sense to me? But I'm probably going to go this route.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/20149625

but thats just it what are they claiming it does? Why is it $100 more than the 3D-XL and doesn't even come with glasses? Vague info on website, no response to emails..... how can one even "pull" the trigger if no one reponds to their emails

a) you mention claiming as if there's a reason to believe they're lying. There are a number of us using their products, and they work as "claimed", so this distrust is unwarranted.

b) We've already answered why it's $100 more than 3dxl, advanced processing features.

c) From what I understand based on what others in on this initial sale have said, I believe this is an extremely limited pre-production set of units being sold to a small set of customers. So for the general public we'll need to wait for the release.

Wait and see about the product makes perfect sense - especially since that's what you'd have to do anyway, since it isn't launched yet.

I just don't understand the desire to insult the company ("no-name", implications of lying about features, etc.), when their track record - small though it may be - has been pretty much perfect so far. If you really want to judge the company, look at the products they've actually released and the assurances they've made: the 3d-gamer has a dozen or so users I've seen on this forum, and I haven't seen anyone displeased with it. As far as I've seen, everyone agrees that it works as claimed. It was released exactly when promised. It was priced reasonably, shipped quickly, installed easily, and performs admirably. They're off to a great start, outperforming most of the more "established" businesses in my opinion.

Personally, I look forward to their new product releases, and if they can maintain the level of quality they launched with (and since the products are basically the same core functionality just with some added features, I see no reason to doubt they will), they'll be an awesome addition to the marketplace.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts