AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to rewire my optical cable running from my DVR to my HTPC capture device to my receiver (bought a splitter so as to avoid the string...it has been an issue before). When I removed the cable from the back of my DVR, I was unable to get a fit when inserting the new cable into the port (yes, Ive removed all of the endcaps). I tried the old cable, no avail...it goes in, but doesnt lock. I originally thought the port itself just wasnt tight anymore for some reason, but then noticed I was not getting a good connection (light was very faint). When I pulled the box out to get a better look, I noticed that the port appears to have been driven into the DVR...the "door" for the optical port is close to a 1/4 inset of the back of the DVR, leaving me unable to get a solid connection. Its always been a little tricky to get a cable to stay in place as it was, so Im guessing it just finally moved too far deep to work at all.

I feel like I have 2 options, with a third that I dont really want to do. I need advice on what will/wont work.

1. Open the DVR up, and see if I can move the port back into place. Ive opened up similar devices before, but dont want to be surprised by any possible issues.

2. "Shave" the edges off an optical cable. Make the head skinnier and itll fit in. Fairly certain theres a bit of extra rubber there, but this may just be delaying the inevitable by not doing #1.

3. Call Dish and have the DVR replaced. Not a real option I want to do...Im guessing Id lose everything on my DVR, maybe everything on my external drive? Plus they would probably try to reup my contract to get a new one, which Im definitely NOT doing.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Doesn't your VP722 have that big red and white label on top warning you not to mess with it?

Call and make them come fix/repair it. It's theirs and it broke. You pay them plenty for good equipment. The guy can transfer recordings and make sure that your external is seen by a new box if he decides to replace yours.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, actually, the warning only states to not move the DVR while its plugged in because it has a HDD.

Well, if I can move the important stuff to my external drive and it be recognized by the new DVR, I may just call them and have it replaced then (shipped though, I dont feel like dealing with a tech...not like he would show up tomorrow anyhow). I just dont want to have to wait forever for it, and if I can, in fact, resolve the issue myself, then that solution is preferable.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Issue resolved

I googled pictures of the inside of the box, and found one that showed the optical port. It very obvious this was easy to move, so I went ahead and opened it up, popped it back in place, and now have digital sound again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.