AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got dishnet and have a ViP722, which has a coax output for a second TV. I have the coax run to my projector in the theater room. The projector has inputs for two VGA 15-pin D-subs (for RGB and component video), one composite jack, one S-video port.

just to get it running to see if the signal was there, I used an old VCR as the "receiver" using composite to the projector and stereo to my HK 7.1 receiver. It 'works', but the sound is really crummy. I mean really bad. The installer said the poor sound would go away with a better VCR.

My 2 questions:

#1 How do I fix the sound? Is the sound problem really caused by the VCR? Just a day before, I was using it to watch cable on another TV using the same composite / stereo outputs. It was fine then. What would you suggest I use to get audio/video from coax to the PJ (which kinda leads into #2)?

#2 How do I get the best picture? The feed is SD, but it is down converted HD. The projector [NEC LT240K] is XGA resolution (1024 x 768) but we generally use no more than 1024 x 600 (widescreen) for movies. I know that using s-video will be better than composite. And that I could also run HDMI (would still need a 'receiver') or component (directly into PJ) to get an HD source (but the cables would have to be run outside the house). Considering the projector is essentially only 600p, is that even worth the trouble?

I think s-video will pass 486i, but I'm not sure. If the down converted HD is at least 480i, then I would think s-video should suffice. DVDs (at 480p) look fantastic on the PJ.

I'm open to all suggestions.

thanks

-wb

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The sound issue seems to be with the receiver if the VCR works with a TV some place else. Have you tried a TV connected directly to that coax? Is that sound OK?

You could try an upconverting DVDr with component outputs (or even S-video), but then you're starting so spend some money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/15578128

The sound issue seems to be with the receiver if the VCR works with a TV some place else. Have you tried a TV connected directly to that coax? Is that sound OK?

my old tv's coax-in doesn't work. That's why I was using the VCR's composite out before we got dish. I think I will have to spend some $ before I can know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/15578128

You could try an upconverting DVDr with component outputs (or even S-video), but then you're starting so spend some money.

Does an upconverting DVD player have an NTSC tuner? I don't think it would work if it doesn't.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just a thought.... But why not just splurge on an extra HD receiver?

If that isn't a possibility, a different possibility would be to get a really long component or HDMI cable (the opposite of what you are using to hook up to TV1) and run that to your projector. Now, granted, that will mean 2 TV1's, so you will have to watch the same thing on both TV, and projector, but it is an alternative way to get HD on your projector....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/15584568

Like, outside outside?

yes, outside outside. the theater is above the room w/ the Vip722. Cables would run through exterior wall, up one story, then back in trough wall. Fishing the line through the wall would be difficult because of the insulation in the exterior wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/15584885

Yes, they all do.

that's great to know! thanks. Do you have a recommendation for one that looks good and isn't too expensive?

edit: I just took a quick look at some upconverting DVD players, and I don't see a coax jack on any of them. Even if they have a NTSC tuner, they still couldn't be used to get the signal from the coax to component. Am I missing something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts