AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused on the virtual surround on the 45tx. Can you make the rear center speaker work in the other modes such as DPLII? The manual says that if you turn it on is should work, but is a little vague about when it comes on, and which surround mode. Anybody know or have the number for Pioneer to ask?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Yes, it will work in conjunction with DPLII.

Press the "SB CH Mode" button in the bottom row of buttons on the remote until the "SB CH On" indicator lights up on the left side of the receiver's display. With some action movies this gives a very convincing 6.1 effect from 2 channel sources. This is also how you force EX decoding on DDEX dvds that aren't flagged to make auto EX come on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Out of curiousity, does the 45 have its own mode (i.e. like Logic7) that can turn the mono center channel sound in the rear and create a 'true' 7.1 sound?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Chris Elm,

I think the 7-D theater mode does that. However, I have not done any testing to confirm or deny that. I suspect that it uses DPLII to try separating the sounds out. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Anyone know for sure?

Sorny

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah, yeah, too many options still to be explored on my 45TX! I should not complain about it, though... :D

But, the owner's manual could be written a little bit better!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have tried using the SB with the DPLII and get no results. It works for the forced EX but will not turn on for any of the other 5.1 modes, such as DPLII. I rechecked everything, I am in the left output. Hmmmmmm. The manual talks about the SB button twice, which is weird. It talks about the SB selection (on, off, auto), and also talks about the same button for the Virtual Surround. Have not gotten anyone at Pioneer to give me an answer on the difference.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Leave the SB selection set to "on".

The effect from the back surrounds is pretty subtle on most material, but it will do a good job with most DD and DTS 5.1 dvds. Try Tombstone or most any 5.1 disc with lots of surround effects

and the back surrounds will come to life.

2.0 sources aren't as active in the back surrounds as a rule. I watched Tomb Raider on DirecTV with a 2.0 soundtrack in DPLII with surround back "on" and got some really amazing back center effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.