AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My office is in a basement with no windows. Its pretty dull down here, especially as I have a really nice garden just outside complete with a goldfish pond. I'd kill for a window but that's not going to happen as I'm underground.

I was thinking of installing a flat panel TV on my office wall & piping in live video from my garden & pond. Basically making a virtual window. I'm planing to use an old LCD TV as the "window". Its the camera I could use some advice on.

I'm looking for a quality color security type camera, not a camcorder. I don't need to be able to record the video, just need to connect it directly to the TV. I'd like to spend less than $200 on the camera if possible. Night vision would be a plus also. There seems to be a million out there to choose from. Any suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I think that it might be cheaper and the picture better if you used an old camcorder that is sort of broken. That is the video is OK but maybe the tape handling mechanism is bad, or it won't work on battery but it's good on AC. Or the view-finder is broken.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/16948343

I think that it might be cheaper and the picture better if you used an old camcorder that is sort of broken. That is the video is OK but maybe the tape handling mechanism is bad, or it won't work on battery but it's good on AC. Or the view-finder is broken.

smart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an excellent idea. I just happen to have an old super-8 video camera that refuses to record or play but works fine otherwise. Not sure why I didn't think to use it. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts