AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yes it was running but the main thrust of the demo was about the Speaker company who were sharing the room with Immersive. I recommend going to get a demo of one though if you are seriously interested.

Gordon

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought one of these on the initial power buy and the picture was sensational right out of the box. I've been curious why there hasn't been more discussion but maybe it's because the unit doesn't need a lot of tweaking or doesn't create any problems. I'm using a very large da-lite hi power screen and the brightness is good even in the normal mode (vs. high power). Contrast is superior and the image is stunning when fed high definition via DVI from Direct-TV.

I have a Faroudja NRS DVI for non-hi def TV and that produces a significantly better picture than straight Direct TV to the Virtuoso via DVI (e.g. I feed out from a Zenith Hi Def Direct TV box to the Faroudja via both component out ( for non hi def) and DVI (for hi def) as the Faroudja passes through the DVI signal but scales up the component image to 720P).

I also have two DVD players, an older Toshiba 9200 and a Bravo D1. I prefer the Bravo and send the DVD signal via DVI to the Virtuoso which requires me to unplug the DVI out cable from the Faroudja directly to the DVI out on the Bravo and let the virtuoso scale it.

I am using a Better Cables DVI cable and found their products and service generally to be great.

As an aside I upgraded from their Silver Serpent inter connects to their newer and significantly more expensive Blue Truth balanced interconnects and found them to be well worth the price. I use M&K 150 powered speakers fed from a Lexicon MC-12 balanced sound processor via the Blue truth and so don't need to worry about speaker cable or matching amps to speakers which is a whole other can of worms. I also use a M&K 5000 sub-woofer. The sound in my opinion is excellent for both movies and music.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I really think the lack of chatter is due to the relatively small ownership base. As is often the case with products that work and work well, people just go enjoy their movies and watch them.

Products that are not out yet are the undiscovered country; products that are glitch-filled are the lifeblood of the forum. :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lylepdx
I bought one of these on the initial power buy and the picture was sensational right out of the box. I've been curious why there hasn't been more discussion but maybe it's because the unit doesn't need a lot of tweaking or doesn't create any problems.
i agree with you. as another virtuoso owner I can say it lived up to the hype.

I dont post much cause, let see, spend time on the computer or watch a movie. Yes sir, I am watching movies. I need to stop sitting in my unfinished theater with my jaws on the floor watching movies and finish building my theater.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
That makes a lot of sense Jerry. Kind of what I suspected, and not a surprise coming from Immersive. Enjoy the show. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have decided to purchase a Virtuoso as well to use with a 54 x 96 Silverstar screen. My theater room is almost done. I need to order a DVI cable to use with my Bravo D1 and I want to make sure I get the correct length. My screen will have a 1" border and the top of the screen will be about 2 inches from the ceiling. The Virtuoso will be mounted on the ceiling and I was wondering how far back from the screen and how far from the ceiling the projector needs to hang for optimum performance? From this I can determine what length cable I need.

Also, any recommendations of which gain Silverstar I should get with this projector?

TIA

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
TIA, How high is your ceiling. It is about 13.5 inches from the ceiling to the top edge of viewing area.

I don't know about CEDIA but my wife and I just watched our first full movie in our just finished HT last night. I was on the original power buy (Order # 1)for the Virtuoso. Out of the box (Avia on order) the picture was unbelievable. I kept commenting on how detailed it was. Sitting about just over 1.5 x screen. Using a Bravo with a Da lite High power. PJ ceiling mounted. The picture was phenomenal. Movie was Gangs of New York. ( too much gratuitous violence, but great period sets). Waiting for SVS sub to arrive before watching Two Towers

Dan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D_B_0673
TIA, How high is your ceiling. It is about 13.5 inches from the ceiling to the top edge of viewing area.

I don't know about CEDIA but my wife and I just watched our first full movie in our just finished HT last night. I was on the original power buy (Order # 1)for the Virtuoso. Out of the box (Avia on order) the picture was unbelievable. I kept commenting on how detailed it was. Sitting about just over 1.5 x screen. Using a Bravo with a Da lite High power. PJ ceiling mounted. The picture was phenomenal. Movie was Gangs of New York. ( too much gratuitous violence, but great period sets). Waiting for SVS sub to arrive before watching Two Towers

Dan
Have you ever seen any HDTV on your virtuoso? It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen myself.

When we watch Insectia on Discovery-HD my 16 month son thinks the insects are in the room and it is a constant battle to keep him off the screen.

My three old sit there in awe hypnotized.

BTW, SVS subs for Twin Towers is the definitely a must.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My ceiling is 8'. Does the distance from the projector to the screen affect the height of the projector?

So if my screen top is 2 inches from the ceiling the the projector will be 15.5 inches from the ceiling? Is that the lens or the bottom of the projector? Also, how far back from the screen should my projector be in the configuration I gave earlier?

·
Registered
192 Posts
"My ceiling is 8'. Does the distance from the projector to the screen affect the height of the projector? "

No. The *top* of the screen must be about 13.5" *below* the ceiling if the projector is flat (mounted directly) to the ceiling (someone else please post with the exact formula). You can also place the projector the same distance under the bottom of the screen if you want to put it on a coffee table. It has a short throw, so this possible.

I have the top of my screen at just about 6' (16x9 high-power). This gives me a very satisfying experience (more like a theater with stadium seating than a traditional theater) and allows the center speaker to sit directly on the floor.

The first movie I saw was the Lord of the Rings (super duper extended edition on my D1). Boy, was that a surprise! If only I had my rocket sub-woofer. I think we have a new champ in the "two weeks" contest :rolleyes: .

I have found that some DVDs are much better mastered than others, and this projector really shows off the difference. So far, LOTR is the best looking, but I *really* liked Gladiator, and it handled the very dark scenes with ease!

--Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
"I have decided to purchase a Virtuoso as well to use with a 54 x 96 Silverstar screen."

This might be kind of bright. I know others will disagree with me. I have a 104"x58" high-power and sit a little lower than is optimal for this kind of screen material. It is plenty bright! This projector has real lumens, not marketing-lumens (kind of like German horse power vs other horse power. Same numbers, different speeds).

--Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
"Have you ever seen any HDTV on your virtuoso?"

I have time-warner digital cable with HDTV. I don't think it looks much better than the better DVD's I have watched (using a D1). Is this a statement that time-warner doesn't deliver a very good signal, or is it something else?

--Mark

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Both Lords of the Ring are fantastico. However, you should checkout Dinousar or Toy Story they are pure eye candy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
The *top* of the screen must be about 13.5" *below* the ceiling if the projector is flat (mounted directly) to the ceiling
Due to the layout of my wall I cannot lower my screen any more than it is. With a 54 x 96 screen the top of the viewing area will be 3 inches from the ceiling and the bottom of the viewing area 57 inches from the ceiling.. my ceiling is 8 feet.

Does this mean I need to go with a coffee table layout or is there any way to still use a ceiling mount?

Quote:
I have decided to purchase a Virtuoso as well to use with a 54 x 96 Silverstar screen

This might be kind of bright. I know others will disagree with me. I have a 104"x58" high-power and sit a little lower than is optimal for this kind of screen material. It is plenty bright!
Any other opinions on this? I want to be able to use a little ambient light but I can control the lighting totally.

I apologize if I hijacked this thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.