AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of an increase in gain would you need to go with in order to see a visible difference?

At the moment I'm using Behr ultra flat white paint on artists canvas. The image is really quite good but I want a little more brightness. From reading other peoples posts it seems that the gain is presently around the 1.3 mark. I recently received two Da-lite samples to try out to see if it was worth considering an upgrade. I asked for the high power (gain 2.8) and the Video Spectra 1.5 (gain 1.5). On the weekend I wedged the samples in the border of my screen so that I could move them around and compare with my Behr screen. I could hardly see any difference when using the 1.5 gain. The high power, however, was a big difference. It was like looking through a portion of a window that had been cleaned. Contrast was degraded a little as I could see that black level was a bit more "grey" than compared to the Behr. This along with the potential for hotspotting and colour shift is making me think whether or not the high power is for me or not. It was certainly much brighter and had lots of punch but the sample wasn't big enough to determine whether it would suffer from any of the other downfalls. The other product I was throwing around was to try out the LiquiScreen paint which has an advertised gain of 1.5 with one top coat and about 1.8 with two. So, the question(s) is- if I didn't see much change to a 1.5 gain Da-Lite sample would I expect to see a difference with 1.5Gain or 1.8 gain Liquiscreen? Is a sample a valid "tool" to use in judging expected image gain? For example, if I had an entire screen made from the Da-Lite 1.5 mat'l would I expect to see a noticable difference to my Behr 1.3 gain?

I'm using a floor mounted ECP4000 CRT which only has 7" crt's and is fairly low on the lumen o/p.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I tend to doubt whether the Video Spectra is really 1.5 gain, as I get the same impression from it: not bright at all, about the same as flat white. The Cinema Vision, rated at 1.3, is slightly brighter IMO. If you take the Hipower off the wall and just compare the 1.x samples, you can begin to see the differences.

The Hipower is so much brighter than everything else that I think it might actually be underrated in it's gain numbers. It really jumps out at you, like a traffic sign at night, as another member so aptly put it. Still, so many have pointed out how it's so great that even I'm close to caving in & trying one...

The Liquiscreen produces very nice gain, I bet the numbers listed are pretty accurate. Unfortunately I was never able to get even enough coverage with the product to make an acceptable screen. If you had exceptional painting skills perhaps you could do better, in which case Goo should be a serious option, too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you've tried the Liquiscreen? What size were you trying to paint?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I tried it on an 8' wide screen. Tried it three times, or until I ran out of product. Got closer each time, but never did manage acceptable results. Either I'm a really lousy painter (quite possible;)), or rolling high gain coatings isn't a good idea...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.