AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Lumagen Vision and just picked up a Denon 3910 player that I will have SDI modded. I've been quite happy to-date with the Vision, but know that the iScan units have made great strides in the last year. I'm running a Electrohome 8500 CRT at 720p or 1080i for the HD content (keep the resolution matched to the broadcast.) I use 720p for DVD and run 840p for my 4:3 material.

I'm considering the iScan HD or Lumagen VisionHDP for the next upgrade. What's the word on which of the two is the stronger performer? Has anyone done side-by-side comparison either with 480i component or SDI inputs?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I am about to make the same decision as you...and I think there is one crucial aspect to it....does the ISCAN do component HD - rgbhv transcoding?? If not, then it's a no brainer to go with the Lumagen. This feature in it's own right is worth a few hundred dollars. And seeing as the Lumagen adds 2 sdi inputs for about the same as the dvdo single sdi option, the Lumagen is the front runner for me.

Ben

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Iscan does do RGBHV transcoding, and quite well too.

I use alot of the Iscans but have never dealt with the Lumagen.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Are you sure about this? I seem to remember specifically reading that it didn't do this. If it does, I would probably get it.

Let me clarify -> I need my 1080i cable box via component to display through my crt projector via rgbhv...are you certain that this works??

Ben

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I just found this on the dvdo site...

9. How does the iScan HD handle High Definition sources?

The iScan HD can scale and/or deinterlace standard definition interlaced (480i/576i) and progressive (480p/576p) signals, but it can not scale high definition (720p/1080i) signals. The component inputs of the iScan HD will automatically convert to pass-through mode if the incoming signal is a high definition format, and will send the input signal through to the output unchanged.

Note that the iScan HD does not perform analog transcoding - i.e., it will not convert a pass-through HD analog input in YPbPr to RGB on the output. If your HDTV signal is in YPbPr format it will appear that way at the analog output as well. If it is in RGBHV format, then it will be RGBHV at the output as well.

Looks like the Lumagen is a no-brainer.

Ben

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have compared the SDI inputs on an Iscan HD, FE CS-2 and Crystalio in another thread that I started. I was going to buy a beta Lumagen Vision HDP Pro but it was and still is in beta and many folks stated this wouldn't be fair to compare production products vs beta. The thread was started by me - just look at my profile to see the evaluation / shootout.

The Iscan HD won't transcode HD analog as mentioned before. The Iscan has one big thing going for it and that is a recent price drop to $1200 (+$400 for SDI). The Iscan HD for the price can't be beat if it has the features you need. You will need a B/O cable though. The Iscan HD has an SDI offset control - you will need this! I am not sure if the Lumagen has similar adjustments. The Iscan HD can genlock to 72Hz on 480i sources like SDI. I find this makes for much smoother motion over the standard 60 Hz.

The Lumagen Vision HDP ($1499 MSRP - no SDI or BNC outputs) does have some CRT friendly features such as BNC outputs that are optional. Also optional are the SDI inputs. You may want to consider the Vision HDP Pro that have all these as standard in addition to more inputs and will probably cost just a little more when all is said and done. If you have color calibration equipment such as Sencore CA-1 or Milori Colorfacts you have much greater greyscale control with the Lumagen. You can adjust the RGB gains at lower IRE's this is really handy esp for us CRT users.

I will be SDI modifying my Denon 5900 when I get back from my business trips in early Nov. Feel free to ping me on how the 5900 works with the Iscan HD and FE CS-2. I currently use a self modified Denon 1600 with the PMS kit.

I have dealt with both Lumagen and DVDO and they are extremely responsive and customer oriented.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ben, I haven't tried the 704 through the Iscan. There is no room in my rack. My custom made rack has not arrived yet. The 704 did look "ok" through the CS-1 I had previously.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AVS special makes the IScan HD even more interesting!! However, given how much I already have invested, I'd hate to cheap-out and save a few $100 when the Lumagen has the superior picture. Is this indeed the case???

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
dunno, but they both use the same chip. - I keep "wanting" to buy the HD myself, but have a crt like you - so I either need the Lumagen or a transcoder. Don't have a transcoder, so will be waiting for the Lumagen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.