AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check this out on ebay, some of the poeple state that the silverstar is a "vision X silverstar scren from vutec" is this legit, a blow off, fake, scam, or is it real?

what is vision X then ,.... a technology?

-spyder

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Vutec company has two lines of screens. They make the Vutec line we all know and they make the Vision line. Most if not all of the silverstars are make through the higher end Vision line. Assuming thats whay you are talking about, then that is correct. Any 3.25 inch framed Silverstar would definitely be a Vision

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki
The Vutec company has two lines of screens. They make the Vutec line we all know and they make the Vision line. Most if not all of the silverstars are make through the higher end Vision line. Assuming thats whay you are talking about, then that is correct. Any 3.25 inch framed Silverstar would definitely be a Vision

ok, kewl, will i notice any diff between the reg 1.25 vevet non-vision x screen and the 3.25 in visioons x screen?

-spyder

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i properly set up the hs51 there should be little to no light spill, right? i mean, i can jsut justify payin 300 more bux for a screen that has a 2" larger border, can you guys?

-psyder

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well you always want to slightly overscan your image onto the frame. The reason for that is as you switch between sources, DVD's, etc... you will find they all were done differently. That means if you setup the projector to fit one source perfectly onto the frame, you might find another is slightly smaller. By overscanning slightly, you can make sure they all have a crisp edge from the frame. That being said, in the case of the Vutec, the large price difference is probably not worth it. In the case of other companies like Stewart and Dalite, the difference in price is much smaller (~$50ish) so it is more commonly done.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007
if i properly set up the hs51 there should be little to no light spill, right? i mean, i can jsut justify payin 300 more bux for a screen that has a 2" larger border, can you guys?

-psyder
If I remember correctly, most dealers only wanted $150 more for the deluxe frame on the 120" SS. As for the 1.5" or 3.25", I think it depends on how large of a screen you get. Small screen - small border, large screen - large border. The 1.5" will probably look good on a 92" screen. I've seen both borders on the largest SS and the 1.5" border looks too thin. I'm glad I got the 3.25" border on mine. It just looks much nicer. As always though, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quote:

-psyder
If I remember correctly, most dealers only wanted $150 more for the deluxe frame on the 120" screen. As for the difference between the 1.5" or 3.25", I think it depends on how large of a screen you get. The 1.5" will probably look good on a 92" screen. I've seen both borders on the largest SS and the 1.5" border looks too thin. I'm glad I got the 3.25" border on mine. It just looks much nicer.

Small screen - small border, large screen - large border.

As always though, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have the SilverStar with the Vision XTC. I have to say it looks smart. Border is about 3 inches all around. But it's a retractable so there may be some need for the larger border to tension the screen.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer
If I remember correctly, most dealers only wanted $150 more for the deluxe frame on the 120" screen. As for the difference between the 1.5" or 3.25", I think it depends on how large of a screen you get. The 1.5" will probably look good on a 92" screen. I've seen both borders on the largest SS and the 1.5" border looks too thin. I'm glad I got the 3.25" border on mine. It just looks much nicer.

Small screen - small border, large screen - large border.

As always though, YMMV.
To some degree that is true. Larger screens put more pressure on the middle of the frame, and thus potentially could sag with a smaller sized frame tubing. However, the 1.5"-3.25" frames are pretty similar in strength until you get really large.

A lot is personal preference, and again, with some companies the price difference, especially street price, is very small so commonly the better frame is opted for.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I just listed my 110 silverstar screen on Ebay under Consumer Electronics > Home Theater Projectors > Projector Screens & Material > Vutec Screens. This top of the line screen is absolutely beautiful. 3.25 inch wide frame with black light absorbing velvet finish. 110" diagonal. 54" x 96" viewing area. Only six weeks old. This screen is too big for my room. My seating arrangement is too close. I am willing to take a loss in order to get a smaller screen. I still have the original wooden shipping crate and can ship inside continental US only or you can pick it up locally in order to save in shipping costs. This screen is a one piece unit. The freight service used will be arranged based on your location.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guys, with a 110" screen, the row (ground/bean bag sitting) will be about 12 feet from the projector. And with 1.5 seeting arrangment, at the ground level seatging, it will perfectly match the 1.5timesto1 requirement. Allthough i might think of getting this screen, i wanted to first know if i will see SDE with 1.5 with teh ss/hs51 combo?

thanks much

spyder

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Quote:
guys, with a 110" screen, the row (ground/bean bag sitting) will be about 12 feet from the projector. And with 1.5 seeting arrangment, at the ground level seatging, it will perfectly match the 1.5timesto1 requirement. Allthough i might think of getting this screen, i wanted to first know if i will see SDE with 1.5 with teh ss/hs51 combo?

thanks much

spyder
SDE at 1.5? Yes probably. I have a 92" diag SS and view at 10.5 - 11'. I've since then decreased to 84" and will do some masking. Your bean bags are in for SDE for sure. I would consider a slight defocus of the lense, a slightly smaller screen or projecting a smaller image and masking that way you'll have the full 110" for the next pj.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimason
SDE at 1.5? Yes probably. I have a 92" diag SS and view at 10.5 - 11'. I've since then decreased to 84" and will do some masking. Your bean bags are in for SDE for sure. I would consider a slight defocus of the lense, a slightly smaller screen or projecting a smaller image and masking that way you'll have the full 110" for the next pj.

how much will the picture suffer in order to see only SOME sde? I mean, will a sharp line turn into a furry tail? what about a smaller screen like a 100" or the usual 92"?

which one should i get now? 92 or 100 for little sde @11/12 feet?

and of course you are talking about eh sony vpl-hs51

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Quote:
how much will the picture suffer in order to see only SOME sde? I mean, will a sharp line turn into a furry tail? what about a smaller screen like a 100" or the usual 92"?

which one should i get now? 92 or 100 for little sde @11/12 feet?

and of course you are talking about eh sony vpl-hs51
Only you can decide. I though 92" was the sweet spot for me after projecting on a white wall for a while. I went to 84" because I'd rather have a better picture than a larger one. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I suggest you get your PJ before you get the screen so that you can see first hand what size image looks good to you. With the PJ in your room, you have the freedom to move it around and experiment with the different throw distances and screen sizes.

This way you are not locked in to a certain screen size until you are satisfied with what is acceptable to you as far as SDE is concerned. This is the best advice I can give. I had my PJ first and was able to see the different image sizes with my own eyes and determine what was best for my situation.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i guess doing a cheap paper screen wont hurt, and its like 16 dollars is better losing than 1000+ and then finding out that it sucks!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just shine it on the bare wall. If I remember correctly the wall is a light color. It doesn't have to be white in order for you to see SDE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.