AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've enjoyed this on dvd numerous times....haven't been able to find any reviews on the just-released BD version to see if the PQ upgrade is incremental enough for a double-dip. In any case, the 'Visions' series, originally shown on PBS, are beautifully shot (via helicopter) with inspiring narration and background music, and should look even greater on hidef (not sure if it'll be 1080i or 1080p yet). Has anyone previewed the BD with initial impressions yet?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Always enjoyed this, too, along with other 'over' travelogues, in PBS's 1080/60i in the early 2000's with my 9"-gun 64" CRT RPTV, which displayed at the same 1080/60i. Noticed this blog review of the Blu-ray version. Acquired a 65" 1080p plasma early this year, so expect I'll buy this two-disc set and see what it looks like at Blu-ray bit rates and 1080/60p. The plasma shows other similar chopper overflights excellently, although there may be a subtle difference between 1080/50i and 1080/60i (or 24p/25p) capture and format conversions. Thanks for this BD reminder! -- John

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the tip on the blog review John....unfortunately, the reviewer's PQ comments are hardly revealing. In any case, I went ahead and ordered 'Italy' along w/'Visions of Britain & Ireland'. I'll likely double-dip on 'Greece/Sicily', 'France', and 'Germany' when they become avail as well, as testimony to how well I think the 'Visions' series have been made (not to take anything away from the 'Over' series). Btw, as you're aware, these BDs will be in 1080i.

I also still have a high end Hitachi 65" crt rptv (02' vintage) in service, and my BDs & HDDVDs still look mighty impressive in 1080i. Haven't used it much tho since I've had my 140" CIH front pj setup. 'Visions' should look spectacular on your 65" Panny....is your BD player a Panny also? I'm a big Panny enthusiast (I have the BD30 & 60, and my front pj is a Panny also). Cheers -- Matt.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/17034456

'Visions' should look spectacular on your 65" Panny....is your BD player a Panny also? I'm a big Panny enthusiast (I have the BD30 & 60, and my front pj is a Panny also). Cheers -- Matt.

Picked up a Sony PS3 BD machine, mostly for the overall reputation, since I'm not into games. Yes, that blog review is quite generalized. -- John

BTW, curious if anyone else feels there are PQ differences between these types of discs captured at 1080/50i (or perhaps 25p) for European distribution, with conversion to 1080/60i here, versus all-1080/60i (or 24p) without conversion; mentioned this in one of my links above. To my eyes, most chopper overflights seem too smooth for 24p or 25p capture, but some here have written that has been used in some cases.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I watched Part I of the new Blu-Ray set last night. The picture quality is good, but not great. I tried to read the name of my hotel in a Venice shot, but the PQ was a little too grainy.

IMO the narrative is pretty lame ... almost made me gag at times.

Nevertheless, I found the disk worthwhile ... a good overview of the country

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily /forum/post/17038534

I watched Part I of the new Blu-Ray set last night. The picture quality is good, but not great. I tried to read the name of my hotel in a Venice shot, but the PQ was a little too grainy.

Durn....this has deflated my anticipation somewhat....I guess I'll have to do my own PQ comparisons b/w the dvd & bd to see if the upgrade was worth it, even tho I'm expecting some perceptible difference. It basically boils down to how much a person loves a certain title (on dvd), in which case, any upgrade would be welcome

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Googled this title and Acorn Media yesterday, noticing a few sites labeled this series as 1080p Blu-rays, which implies they're 24p. Someone at Acorn e-mailed me "she was told" it's a 1080/60i disc. And many sites describe the helicopter capture as being from a high-definition camera, which could be just about any format.

Surprising if the PQ isn't better than what PBS or HDNet etc. used to deliver in the early 2000s since it couldn't have been greater than ~17 Mbps MPEG-2 video payload (out of ~19 Mbps ATSC max.) Not sure about hotel signs resolution-wise, but can recall one remarkable overflight of a flock of sheep in Italy where I could resolve grass blades in the field. Also recall being able to resolve each block of stone in castle or building walls. -- John

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/17043805

Not sure about hotel signs resolution-wise

Here is my 2003 snapshot of the hotel, about 13 buildings to the right of the Doge's Palace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts