AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who might be interested..

Windows Server 2008 64 bit works fine with this card and Realtek 1.96 drivers.

I formatted a machine to be a Windows 2008 64 bit server. I installed the desktop experience (looks like vista). I installed the hotfix drivers, realtek 1.96, CCCP codec pack. Everything works great.
HDMI Audio 192K sound in the control panel.

Personally, Windows server 2008 is what Vista should have been.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Excellent. I'm looking to pick up that card as well for use in a dual quad server 2008 box.

I haven't installed the server 2008 OS yet, but what specifically do you like about server 2008 compared to Vista. I guess I'm trying to justify the $400+ premium of Server 2008 over Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I'm pretty sure both supports 8 cores.

My mobo is a SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DWN+ running a pair of E5410 Harpertowns. My RAID controller is an Areca 1170 with 24 SATA2 ports running a 22TB RAID 6 comprised of 24 1TB Seagate ES.2s.

My goal is to be able to play my ripped BD movie mkv's directly off the RAID via the 4850 using HDMI to my Onkyo 885 pre/pro (lossless FLAC for now and hopefully bitstream later) and at the same time have the server handle any request for playing content over the network to other HTPC extenders throughout the house. This server will also be folding 24/7 as well as running J. River's Media Center 12 for a whole house music system.

I'm currently running a D805 on an Asus server mobo under XP 64-bit (all my other HTPC boxes are running Vista), and I'm having performance and stability issues when I stress the system.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen /forum/post/14245150

Excellent. I'm looking to pick up that card as well for use in a dual quad server 2008 box.

I haven't installed the server 2008 OS yet, but what specifically do you like about server 2008 compared to Vista. I guess I'm trying to justify the $400+ premium of Server 2008 over Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I'm pretty sure both supports 8 cores.

My mobo is a SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DWN+ running a pair of E5410 Harpertowns. My RAID controller is an Areca 1170 with 24 SATA2 ports running a 22TB RAID 6 comprised of 24 1TB Seagate ES.2s.

My goal is to be able to play my ripped BD movie mkv's directly off the RAID via the 4850 using HDMI to my Onkyo 885 pre/pro (lossless FLAC for now and hopefully bitstream later) and at the same time have the server handle any request for playing content over the network to other HTPC extenders throughout the house. This server will also be folding 24/7 as well as running J. River's Media Center 12 for a whole house music system.

I'm currently running a D805 on an Asus server mobo under XP 64-bit (all my other HTPC boxes are running Vista), and I'm having performance and stability issues when I stress the system.

I like to hear this as well since I have Vista in my HTPC now. I have a separate RAID 5 Linux server that stores all my back up DVD and BD only.

I have no problem with my 4850 to Onkyo 885 same as Integra 9.8 using PDVD8 for DVD and BD playback. Last but not least, I have my Vista running with the same HTPC 24X7 with Homeseer, home automation software, with only P4 and old Intel MB here.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen /forum/post/14245150

A big part of server 2008 vs. Vista is that it's vista sp1. (BTW XP sp2 is what XP should've been all along too, duh)

server 2008 is vista with more services, but alot of the eye candy turned off by default. It also doesn't have VMC and alot of the consumer orienated applications.

server08 and vista have exactly the same kernel, run exactly the same drivers, and if you went into the services in vista and turned on and off services to look like an 08 install they'd behave and perform exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks for that info sotti. I think what I'll do in that case is to install my copy of Vista Ultimate 64-bit, apply SP1 and then test things out and if all goes well, pick of another copy of Ultimate for $179. Sure beats paying $699 for the same thing with a bunch of services I'll never use.

Is there a guide out there showing all the crap that can be turned off in Vista to make it leaner and faster and behave more like server 2008?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14246046

A big part of server 2008 vs. Vista is that it's vista sp1. (BTW XP sp2 is what XP should've been all along too, duh)

server 2008 is vista with more services, but alot of the eye candy turned off by default. It also doesn't have VMC and alot of the consumer orienated applications.

server08 and vista have exactly the same kernel, run exactly the same drivers, and if you went into the services in vista and turned on and off services to look like an 08 install they'd behave and perform exactly the same.

So why pay more for less and no VMC?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/14246622

So why pay more for less and no VMC?

If you run SageTV or Mediaportal, its' easier to not have VMC on the system. Plus if you are a Technet sub, you pay a flat fee for all MSFT products, so no incremental cost.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM /forum/post/14246817

If you run SageTV or Mediaportal, its' easier to not have VMC on the system. Plus if you are a Technet sub, you pay a flat fee for all MSFT products, so no incremental cost.

MikeSM,

Thanks for the insight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts