AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the new Visiontek Xtasy Everything 5564 at CompUSA tonight (nVidia Personal Cinema launch platform, a.k.a. All-In-Wonder fighter). Tuner, PVR, wireless remote, VIVO.

Core is a 64MB GeForce2 MX400, price $199.

Has anyone seen a review?

KC

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nVidia has ATI beat in the 3D department and is trying msucle in on their "all in wonder" turf. But just like nVidia spanks ATI on 3D, ATI returns the favor in the video capture/encode department.

Simply put, ATI has dedicated custom hardware for NTSC video capture, a pretty decent comb filter and a great implmentation of the Ligos GoMotion MPEG2 codec.

The ONLY weak spot is their capture time de-interlacing which is a bummer for those of us with progressive displays and I think that is fixed with the 8500DV All In Wonder. We shall see. I think the 8500DV will cement ATIs position as the ultimate HTPC card vendor.

I have the nVidia "personal cinema" at work and it SUCKS. Nice 3D though. It's just a cheap capture setup bundled with WinPVR(DVR?) which is downright awful.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You'll find a solid review of the Compro version of the Personal Cinema here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87594

I too have been looking for a device like this that would combine the 3D horsepower of the GeForce and "Tivo-like" capabilities and I was encouraged when Maximum PC chose the Personal Cinema for its Home Theater rig a couple months back. Unfortunately, the end-user reviews that are coming out on the Personal Cinema models aren't overly glowing as of yet.

I'm tempted to wait for the AIW Radeon 8500DV, but I've heard so many bad things about the drivers that it's hard to make the plunge. If you're considering the 8500DV as well, you can find a review on the 8500 from AnandTech here:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1544

Best of luck in your quest, hopefully somebody will get this right one of the days...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is a more in depth review of NVidia from ExtremeTech.com:
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...p%253D1,00.asp

If your in need of it now, this may be promising; but if you've got a month to decide wait for the 8500DV and see how this AIW card thing plays out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got the Xtasy Everything today.

First off, sucks that I am stuck with the older drivers. Hopefully a 21.xx based driver will come out soon.

Anyways I only have a Pinnacle Studio PCTV to compare to (plugged into the same box)

Image captures from both show that the PCTV is sharpening the image a bit. I hate that, I prefer to post process and have control over it.

The noise, for me, is quite reduced from the PCTV.

The tuner aspect sucks big time. Fuzzy and flickers a bit.

SVideo in is fantastic, beats the PCTV anyday, virtually 100% noise free.

Video out - Have to run that through TwinView. Annoying that, but it works. The quality looks pretty good.

I don't know why, but it shows far fewer interlacing than the PCTV from the same capture media. Probably fudging it a bit. All I know is that TV is watchable now without DScaler.

The remote is a nice plus when it isn't changing channels on my cable box.

Sadly the card is based on a Phillips chip rather than a Conexant (BT8x8) so no DScaler.

Complaints:

1. Tuner - crap. Use an external tuner like a cablebox, VCR, or just run a signal in via SVideo from your DVD.

2. The remote overlaps with my cable box.

3. Lime green?

If you don't have a tuner, it is probably a worty product to consider.

If you are using an AIW then you probably don't need it.

If you have a noisy TV tuner then you might look into it. It certianly made me happy. Getting that box out of the noise filled PC really helps.

I will take and post some screenshots comparing the two tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.