AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I actually drove down to Rochester with my wife yesterday. We came unannounced. I thought that they have a store-front where customers just walked in. Wrong. They have a showroom where they will show their products if you set up an appointment. So without knowing, I packed up my wife and headed down. When we got there I asked Cindy (i found out her name later on) if I was able to see Jason. Well, Jason was not there , nor was Alan. Helen was nice enough to show me the Dwin Transvision in action. They had been doing some projector testing the day prior so most of their stuff was disconnected. And they were not there. I spoke to both Alan and Jason on the phone, they apoligized even though it was not their fault that I misunderstood how they did business and showed up without an appointment. I did get to see the DWIN which is really what I wanted. Unfortunately no DILA though. The ladies (Helen and Cindy) were good sports, showed me around and even gave us a couple of AFS FORUM T-shirts!! What a nice bunch.

Thanx for the extra effort to please a crazy canuck!

So the DWIN.

I have been hoping that the DWIN Transvision is the perfect projector for me. Unfortunately I'm a perfectionist and for better or worse cannot accept less than perfection. Now with my budget that is a mighty difficult obstacle.

The Dwin had excellent black levels. My wife actually liked the projector, her only complaint was the price. (that's always a complaint but that's another story) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I could not see any screendoor effect! That's a good thing, but the projector was way too soft to my liking. That's probably how they got rid of teh screendoor by softening the image. Still not a bad image. The only thing keeping me from owning one is the RAINBOW! WOW I saw one every second or so. My wife didn't see a single one. Makes me wonder if any DLP will ever get rid of them. I hope so, Jason mentioned that there are new DLP's coming at CEDIA with new color wheels , etc..

Still the DWIN was the best DLP projector that I have seen, if it wasn't for the Rainbow i would have considered it more seriously.

LAst word:

I have been hunting for a projector and will wait however long it takes to get to relative perfection. I know some of you will say that i might never own a projector tehn. I disagree as I believe we are very close that and the next year or so will bring us exciting new projectors.

Take care

Thanx again to everyone at AVS!

------------------

Zed

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The new rgbrgb color wheels to my eye eliminate the rainbow effect. All next generation machines will be using this wheel. What an easy concept and it makes you wonder why they did not use this wheel from the beginning.

Sorry things were not setup when you stopped in. Normally we have the calibrated Dila/Dwin transvision/Seleco 200dm/jvc plasma/ sampo direct view up and running but as you saw everything was a dismay. Tom Strade and myself were there the night before till late hours documenting data and we never finished so Tom ended up taking home half the showroom.

I wonder if he ever sleeps http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Not knowing we were to have company you found the place as we left it. I'm sorry. You drove to long and deserved a better demo. We will make it up next time.

We have the new Dwin and seleco on order all ready so you will be able to do a side by side.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Unfortunately the rainbow problems have kept many folks from buying the DWIN, including me.

I cannot be happy with a projector if anyone in my audience cannot stand to watch it.

Hang on and take a look at many of the new DLPs shipping in the next few months, perhaps you'll see one, or more that you like.

Now is actually a good time to be looking to buy a DLP.

-- Cain

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I will be going to the DWIN dealer meeting at CEDIA and will ask about the new color wheel for their 1280x720 projector.

Jack

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It is my understanding that Dwin will not release their new unit till at least the first 1/4 of next year.

Has this changed ?

When I spoke with them about a sevice for my HD-700, I asked a few questions on new stuff and they said they where not sure if they would use an RGBRGB color wheel on the new Dlp due to the excess light loss.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi guys,

what happened to Zed also happened to me last year in August when I went to a conference in Toronto and thought I stop by at Alan's on my way http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Alan is a great host and I saw the first DILA of my life.

Re. Color Wheels and RGBRGB: Right now the IFA in Berlin is going on (till next weekend). If some folks from Europe are reading this: The SIM2 HT200 and HT200DM can be seen side by side at the Hotel Kempinski/Bristol (which is part of the IFA fair), the projectors are hooked up to an HTPC I have the honor to provide. Seeing those two projectors side by side you can clearly notice how the rainbow effect gets reduced by the DM.

Regarding XGA RGBRGB: As far as I understand the guys from SIM2 it wont be such a trivial problem unfortunately. The processing has to be almost double the speed to be able to use an RGBRGB color wheel with true XGA resolution. But they are working on it and I have all confidence in them http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

If you need more information please feel free to email me.

Thanks!

Christoph

------------------
http://www.Kino-PC.de

[This message has been edited by clehner (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Zed, if you lke a sharper picture, no colour wheels, and great reds/blacks, check out the sharp z9000. I havent seen anything that comes near it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx Alan for the info. As I said earlier I was too impatient. I have been looking for a projector foh say 2 or 3 years. Not finding one for a decent price that also has a great image has been frustrating. I also have the wife factor that it should be fairly small ande not a 100lbs behemot making it even more difficult. She actually liked the DWIN, it was me that the rainbow bothered so much.

The only way I can buy a projector if all these factors are met: good price, I like it, she likes it, good quality, no rainbow, quiet, good colors, bright. Tall order, eh?

The projector would for now go into the living room, later receiving its own HT room. (probably 2-3yrs later).

I will definitely keep you guys in mind as I shop for "OUR" projector. I hope you will still be in business by the time we finally able to decide http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Zed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.