AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scratching my head for a while on this and am hoping you can help.

I'm running Vista 64-bit with an Nvidia 8500GT connected to a Samsung DLP via HDMI. It looks as though there is no red being transmitted. Everything is green, yellow or blue.

The Nvidia driver is at the latest. Changing color settings in the Nvidia control panel didn't help. All the colors except the red slider have an effect.

I tried a second HDMI cable with no change. Instead of HDMI straight from the 8500 to the TV, I also tried a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to HDMI cable and that had no change.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Does the red setting on the Samsung for the HDMI interface that you are using have any effect?

Have you also tried using the component or VGA interface to the Samsung?

Have you had red over HDMI or DVI to the TV working before?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changing red settings on the Samsung have no effect. I just got the Samsung, so this is the first time I've hooked it up. No luck yet with HDMI or DVI-to-HDMI.

Using an S-video connection has great color balance. It's looking like it's strictly an Nvidia/HDMI problem.

I've tried different resolutions and that didn't get me anywhere etiher.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The problem is that we don't know if the DVI/HDMI chip on your graphics card is not outputting red or if the HDMI receiver chip on your TV is not receiving red. At least since S-video has red we know that the TV can display red.

Did you buy the Samsung New? If yes did it come in a previoulsy never opened shiping container?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Samsung is a few years old and I just inherited it. It was showing satellite TV via HDMI and looked awesome, so I'm assuming I have a problem with the Nvidia or a Windows setting. The Windows desktop and Media Center both are missing red, so it's not a Media Center issue.

Unfortunately, the 8500GT I have doesn't have a component out option.

I'm hoping there's a setting somewhere in there I'm missing.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure. It came in an HP "entertainment" setup and just shows in Device Manager as an Nvidia 8500GT. It did not come with a component dongle and the setup guide does not show component as an option.

I do have another Gigabyte card that has a component out dongle, but no HDMI. I may end up trying that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts