AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC is built and I'm read to install the OS. I havn't bought an OS in years because I get them through my school's partnership with the MSDN. Therefore the only OS's I have to choose from are XP Pro, Vista Business and Vista Enterprise in both x86 and x64. I don't want to use XP, and I'm going to use MediaPortal so I don't need VMC. Enterprise is overkill (its basically Ultimate w/o VMC) so I'm looking at Vista Business. Am I going to run into problems with Business because the media functionality is not there, even if I'm using MP?

Otherwise I do have a copy of Windows 7, and I would use that but I don't really feel like having to reinstall come March (even if you have a valid new copy of 7 it sounds like you have to reinstall still rather than just re-activate).

Also, has anyone experience problems with x64 and MP? I have 4GB of RAM and figure I might as well go 64 bit but if it will cause problems then its not worth the little bit of extra RAM.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I wouldn't think MP piggybacks off of VMC so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'd say go with the x64 verion. You don't want to be stuck with 3GB (well 2GB useable by any one program) for the next few years.

Comparing x32 and x64 versions as both are in my household...x64 runs better. The SuperFetch feature can make use of plenty of RAM. In fact, Win7 has actually used as much as 7GB on my system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.