I have a pretty simple/older htpc running vista 32bit home premium

it play back every video I throw at it

it's alittle slow in some areas (dvd rips) but it works

p4m890

e4300 1.8ghz (stock speed no oc)

2gb ram (2x1 gb in single channel)

1tb wd green

ati 4350

I see everyone using win7 is it a much better os for a htpc?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like w7 better than vista as you can skip to places in the playback with the mouse on the progress bar.

Now that media centre buddy handles the recorded tv shows in w7 to convert them and remove the adds it is now I think working well. It was a pain before mediacentre buddy caught up as conversions had to be manual.

Also you get better control over the monitored folders in W7 as my vista seemed to keep resetting itself which was a pain.

W7 has resume function built in for shows you have started watching and stopped where I had to use media control in vista to achieve the same thing and it sometimes did not work.

As you can see not a lot of changes and maybe not worth the money my copy of W7 was free as a promotion on a laptop which I run the vista it came with on and the w7 on my htpc but would I pay for the upgrade probably yes.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
It can be. If everything's fine now, you're set. Once you want more, then comes the upgrade cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies!!

I jumped from xp-home to vista hp and I love vista MC.. it made my desktop so much cleaner (instad of havin 10+ folders all over the desktop lol)..

I just thought jumping from vista hp to win 7 hp there would be some cooler features

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEng /forum/post/18159364

thanks for the replies!!

I jumped from xp-home to vista hp and I love vista MC.. it made my desktop so much cleaner (instad of havin 10+ folders all over the desktop lol)..

I just thought jumping from vista hp to win 7 hp there would be some cooler features

If you have access to a cheapo student copy then by all means go for it, but if you plan to buy it at retail then I would say its not worth the $$. You might be better off just buying a system with Win 7 on it.

And one of the main reasons a PC gets slower is due to Registry inflation and hard drive wear & tear. A hard disk is the only mechanical part inside a PC which contributes directly to PC performance. As time goes by the drive gets older and slower until you start hearing creaking noises.

You have pretty decent specs for a HTPC. I used to run Vista on an old single core P4.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18159448

If you have access to a cheapo student copy then by all means go for it, but if you plan to buy it at retail then I would say its not worth the $$. You might be better off just buying a system with Win 7 on it.

And one of the main reasons a PC gets slower is due to Registry inflation and hard drive wear & tear. A hard disk is the only mechanical part inside a PC which contributes directly to PC performance. As time goes by the drive gets older and slower until you start hearing creaking noises.

You have pretty decent specs for a HTPC. I used to run Vista on an old single core P4.

nah I cant get a student copy (im a good 12 years too late for that deal lol)

and it really not that slow im just more used to my mame rig (e3200 @ 4.1ghz running xp home)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.