AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 500gig WD HDD. I have installed MCE 2005 on the 1st partition (20gig), made a 2nd partition for Programs (25gig), a third partition for Vista OS, and a fourth partition for Storage. Whenever I try to install Vista I get an error that says they can not find source disc. It seems it is not able to find the harddrive. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. Any suggestions?

System:

Asus M2NPV-VM mobo

AM2 3800+ Processor

1 gig Ram

500gig WD Harddrive

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you're using a SATA connection you'll have to install the SATA drivers during the install process to enable Vista to see the drive. If your system has an Intel chipset, usually you can set the SATA channel in the BIOS to emulate an IDE channel. If you do that you won't need to install the SATA drivers and Vista will see the drive just fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain /forum/post/0

If you're using a SATA connection you'll have to install the SATA drivers during the install process to enable Vista to see the drive. If your system has an Intel chipset, usually you can set the SATA channel in the BIOS to emulate an IDE channel. If you do that you won't need to install the SATA drivers and Vista will see the drive just fine.

No, that's not the case anymore. Since XP SP2 SATA drivers are included. The same goes for Vista.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 /forum/post/0

No, that's not the case anymore. Since XP SP2 SATA drivers are included. The same goes for Vista.

I have four computers. All four of them are using XP Pro SP2 and two dual boot into Vista Ultimate RTM (I have a TechNet Direct subscription). Three of the systems are AMD and the HTPC is a Core2Duo E6600, 965 based chipset. All installs required that I install the SATA drivers during the course of the install process, both for XP and Vista.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain /forum/post/0

I have four computers. All four of them are using XP Pro SP2 and two dual boot into Vista Ultimate RTM (I have a TechNet Direct subscription). Three of the systems are AMD and the HTPC is a Core2Duo E6600, 965 based chipset. All installs required that I install the SATA drivers during the course of the install process, both for XP and Vista.

Strange. I got 2 dual boots (one pretty similar as the one that started this thread), and one Core Duo. Neither required stand-alone SATA drivers. The only time that I needed them was when I tried an install using an older XP (I think it was the original XP without any SP integrated).

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:

Strange. I got 2 dual boots (one pretty similar as the one that started this thread), and one Core Duo. Neither required stand-alone SATA drivers. The only time that I needed them was when I tried an install using an older XP (I think it was the original XP without any SP integrated).

It's often dependent on the specific motherboard you have. Some have the basic SATA drivers included in the BIOS that initialize on bootup which negates the need to load them during the install process.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have a 965 based board and vista RC2 installed without any drivers needing to be installed. If you are doing a RAID array you may need drivers but you shouldn't need them if you are just doing a straight SATA drive.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl /forum/post/0

I have a 965 based board and vista RC2 installed without any drivers needing to be installed. If you are doing a RAID array you may need drivers but you shouldn't need them if you are just doing a straight SATA drive.

For many of the Intel boards this is true...kinda, but it gets complicated. I have a 965 board as well. It's the one in my HTPC system-a GigaByte GA-965P-S3. There are 6 SATA ports. 4 are native Intel SATA ports, which means they are integrated into the north bridge/south bridge chipsets. 2 are GigaByte raid SATA ports, for which the hardware functionality is included on a different chip on the motherboard. The 4 Intel ports can run in a mode that emulates IDE mode in the BIOS, and which is also the mode the BIOS defaults to out of the box. The GigaByte ports cannot emulate IDE mode and require a driver upon install.

IF you have changed the BIOS for the Intel ports to run natively in SATA mode, and not emulate IDE, prior to installing XP or Vista you will also have to install an Intel SATA driver. It's just that many people don't ever bother going into their BIOS and setting it for native SATA. Which also means that many people are running their SATA drives in IDE mode, and not native SATA, so they are missing out on some performance.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I had some problems installing Vista on the SATA-based laptops, just deleted the partition while in Setup, created the partition while in Setup, formatted and all was well ever after.

My question:

What is this thread doing on the AVS HTPC forum?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

I had some problems installing Vista on the SATA-based laptops, just deleted the partition, created the partition and all was well ever after.

My question:

What is this thread doing on the AVS HTPC forum?

The thread started with a pc that looks like a htpc.

I don't think there's anything in the bios for that mobo (m2npv) that is similar to what has been described for some of the Intel based mobos.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:

The thread started with a pc that looks like a htpc.

I don't think there's anything in the bios for that mobo (m2npv) that is similar to what has been described for some of the Intel based mobos.

EVERY PC looks like HTPC if you know how to approach HT stuff on PC

Seriously, we don't have a definition of the HTPC written on the wall yet, but OS install questions do not really belong here IMHO.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Micromain,

Yes there is a setting in bios which defaults the SATA to some kind of legacy mode, it can be switched to a new format that is not supported by XP but is supported by Vista. I haven't tried this but I would be surprised that any drivers are required for this mode if you are loading vista. That said... I haven't tried it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.