AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few DVD-Audio disc's that ultimately I'd like to rip to my HDD and add them to my program library. However, apparently, I'm no where near that point yet as I cannot even get the DVD-Audio files to play in 5.1, period.

I have Vista x64 Home Premium and have Power DVD 7 Ultra Installed. I also installed AC3 filter. No matter what I try, I only get 2ch Stereo when I play a DVD-Audio disc in or out of Media Center.

However, if I take the DVD-Audio, pop it into the Oppo, It plays in 5.1 DTS without a problem.

Is there a special app or plug-in that I need in order to play DVD-Audio files (no video or menu's included; just audio).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I assume you're using 5.1 analog, because you're not ever going to get it to work digital link.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, actually I'm using Digital Coax...the funny thing is I thought that was the issue. HOWEVER, I am at a loss here...

How come DVD's can play in 5.1 Dolby Digital over digital coax but yet from what I read, Digital Coax isn't capable of carrying 6ch of audio?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 /forum/post/12890983

I have Vista x64 Home Premium and have Power DVD 7 Ultra Installed. I also installed AC3 filter. No matter what I try, I only get 2ch Stereo when I play a DVD-Audio disc in or out of Media Center.

I'm just assuming you have the same problem I had.... Read this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982243

If your PowerDVD doesn't have the update, you won't even have the option in audio settings for SPDIF. After the update, you will.

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Goodness.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
How come DVD's can play in 5.1 Dolby Digital over digital coax but yet from what I read, Digital Coax isn't capable of carrying 6ch of audio?

digital coax is capable of sending the bitstream from dolby digital and dts (to be decoded by you av receiver). HOwever, it is only capable of sending two channel lossless audio (which would have been decoded on your pc).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/12904533

digital coax is capable of sending the bitstream from dolby digital and dts (to be decoded by you av receiver). HOwever, it is only capable of sending two channel lossless audio (which would have been decoded on your pc).

This is what I'm not really grasping. If It can send 5.1 via bitstream via DVD's through power DVD, why doesn't it send the DVD-A via 5.1 bitstream to the receiver over digital coax?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
2 reasons...

1. Bandwidth... DD5.1 is 16bit/48khz/6channel compressed and uses about 2/3 the bandwidth capability of SPDIF... DVD-A is 24bit/96khz/6channel compressed but is more than 1/3 bigger than DD... SPDIF is just shy on the bandwidth needed

2. SPDIF does not implement any form of protection, so commercial protected DVD-A can ONLY be legaly channeled over analog or HDMI connections...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jim! Now I understand the issue

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yep time for you to buy some adapters and analog up lol. It does sound amazing I must say.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know much about this topic but would using an HDMI audio out on one of the newer video cards handle the DVD-A sound in multi-channel? I know it can handle the bandwidth.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No brandon that's what the entire post is about, sure he said digital coaxial but its the exact same thing as using optical, it can't be done, period.

HDMI could it yes, can it probably not.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 /forum/post/12890983

I have a few DVD-Audio disc's that ultimately I'd like to rip to my HDD and add them to my program library. However, apparently, I'm no where near that point yet as I cannot even get the DVD-Audio files to play in 5.1, period.

However, if I take the DVD-Audio, pop it into the Oppo, It plays in 5.1 DTS without a problem.

Is there a special app or plug-in that I need in order to play DVD-Audio files (no video or menu's included; just audio).

I assume what you're trying to say is that when you play DVD-Video files encoded with 5.1 sound tracks (like Dolby Digital or DTS), your computer does not output them correctly through SPDIF.

Since you installed AC3filter, you have to make sure that AC3 filter is configured to pass-through AC3 or DTS without processing it. It should be an option in one of the tabs. If you use FFDshow, you must configure AC3 or DTS for SDPIF passthrough as well and not use the libav decoder. So, it is simply a matter of config on your end.

Once you get that fixed, it's time to tackle DVD-Audio. You may run into other problems with DVD-Audio rips. In most cases, you will be able to play the 24-bit 48/96khz 2 channel tracks through SPDIF but you probably won't be able to play the 5.1 24-bit tracks (most of your DVD-Audio discs should contain both types).

You can play the 2 channel DVD-Audio tracks by using something like ASIO output or Kernel Streaming ouput.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was hoping to solicit some advice from those of you who have AC3 passthrough working on your HTPCs

I have a new HTPC with the following components:

1) ATI HD 2600 XT video card

2) Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI card

3) Power DVD Ultra

4) LG GGC-H20L BD HD-DVD drive

My problem is that when I can't get AC3 passthrough when playing DVDs with DD through WMP. All I get is stereo sound. I can get AC3 passthrough with Power DVD, but it won't do AC3 passthrough for DivX movies.

I would appreciate any advice with driver configuration etc.

I have so far tried FFDSHOW, AC3Filter, and SPDIFer to no avail.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I see these questions about AC3 popping up many times. You have to do more than just install this software for AC3 passthrough to work. You have to configure them properly.

FFDSHOW

1. Open the FFDSHOW audio decoder config.

2. On the left, choose "Codecs."

3. On the right, hit the dropdown arrow for AC3 and choose S/PDIF. You might also want to do this for DTS.

AC3FILTER

1. Open the AC3 filter config.

2. Hit the SPDIF tab.

3. In the "SPDIF passthrough" section, place checkboxes in AC3 and DTS.

At this point, you don't need both filters for this to work. But, since you have both installed, just make these changes to both and it should work. Eventually, you should clean up your directshow filters so that you only have what you need. Graphedit is your friend here.

If it still doesn't work - check to make sure that the files you are trying to play actually have AC3 tracks. Or, if they have multiple tracks, make sure you aren't playing a default 2 channel audio track. Most applications will let you choose the track while playing OR if you use the Haali Media splitter, you can change tracks by right clicking on the system tray icon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Leonowski,

Thanks for your reply. I have configured everything on my system precisely as you have suggested. This is the effec that I get:

- DVDs play on PowerDVD with AC3 passthrough - full surround sound -- so I konw the connections are intact and are interfacing properly with my receiver

- DivX movies in PowerDVD do not play with AC3 passthrough

- DivX movies in WMP do not paly with AC3 passthrough -- these worked fine on my old Win XP HTPC

* I also want to confirm that people are actually getting DivX and XVid movies playing with AC3 passthrough with Vista Home Premium

* I tried Haali Media splitter, but I didn't notice any difference

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Ohms,

I'm not sure how PowerDVD will handle the Divx movies with a SPDIF track.

As for WMP, you should try graphedit. Dump your Divx movie into graphedit and see what the default filters are being used. I suspect that PowerDVD has hijacked everything and is taking over for all audio. Or, there is something else in the mix causing it not to work. In any case, graphedit will tell you.

Get it here:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...hedit_141.html

You can also use graphedit to manually create a set of filters that you choose to play your movies. Here are some general steps.

1. Open graphedit.

2. Drag your divx movie into the graphedit window.

3. At this point, you should see how WMP creates your video. Is there anything strange in the path from your file to the audio renderer?

4. If there is, you can delete certain things in the path and insert what you really want in there. Go to the Graph menu > Insert Filters > and look under DirectShow filters for a list of your installed filters.

5. Once you have the filters set up, click the play button to test everything out. You should get a window with video and hopefully AC3 passthrough audio.

Here is a generic tutorial I found on the web on how to use Graphedit:

http://www.donationcoders.com/marky/...it_webcam.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lenowski,

I thank you for all of your help. I figured out what the problem was. Oddly enough, I had to go through the WMCE Setup and configure the speakers in my setup. It asked me what kind of cable I was using to connect my computer to the receiver and the number of speakers that I was using. It then did a test through all of my speakers. After that I've got full AC3 passthrough for DivX, XVid, DVD movies. To think that I have spent about 6 hours trying to figure this out . . .

I am a happpy man!

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts