AVS Forum banner

Should MS Release Their Own Fully Integrated HD DVD Solution for Vista Media Center?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. Right now, there is no way to fully integrate HD DVD playback into Vista Media Center (x86 and x64) and instead we need to rely on buggy third-party solutions for HD DVD playback.

Would you like for Microsoft to release its own Vista Media Center Plug-in to allow fully integrated HD DVD playback within VMC?

I say YES!!! Though free would be nice, I think that a fee of something like $19.99 to $29.99 would be reasonable. Better than the $99.99 price that PowerDVD Ultra charges (which is buggy, does not integrate into VMC and is not officially supported under Vista x64).

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I totally agree this is really the only thing keeping me from buying the 360 add-on drive.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Isn't HD-DVD playback supposed to come with Fiji? (Vista SP1). If MS is serious about the next-gen format, I think they should incorporate HD-DVD playback...and leave the third parties to handle Blu.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie /forum/post/0

Isn't HD-DVD playback supposed to come with Fiji? (Vista SP1).

I haven't heard anything official. Any timetable regarding when SP1 for Vista would be released?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd pay extra if I had to but really it should be free. I guess it could make a good Ultimate Extra though.

Having said that, I don't want to see a let up on pressure on Cyberlink. I've already paid for PowerDVD Ultra, which has the benefit of supporting Blu Ray too, which Microsoft are unlikely to do. I'd like to see Cyberlink get to their act together ($99 with no free trial and then the product doesn't work properly) - official support for x64, fix the bugs, and do a proper integration into Media Center.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I voted yes, even for a fee. But we have to keep in mind two things though. First, all Microsoft software is 'integrated' by default--which is why there are so many problems with their stuff. But second... do you trust MS to do as good a job with playback, updates, and user-requested features as WinDVD and PowerDVD? The last thing we need is some non-optional, non-removeable, bug-riddled HD-DVD software along the lines of "Internet Exploder."

Perhaps a better question for the poll would be: Should Microsoft Un-Break Vista so that third-party companies can compete and offer proper functionality?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd love for them to include it as an Ultimate Extra, would give people more incentive to dish out for Ultimate and would help adoption of HD DVD in media center PCs.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My hope (but not sure it would happen) is that a driver for the Intel GMA3000 motherboard video (965 chipset) is done for HD DVD playback on a VGA port. It may require a E6600 or higher processor and only do well for VC-1, but it would cover a lot of titles.

It would be very nice to not have to add a PCI Express video card to a HTPC -- less heat and fan noise.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie /forum/post/0

No, nothing official. Just lots of rumors around the Feb-Mar timeframe:

Fiji rumors

Of 2008? I want it tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/0

I really wouldn't care if PowerDVD had a plug-in for Vista MC which is beyond me why they don't.

I totally wouldn't care if Vista or MCE had HD DVD plugin. I am not going to use Vista or MCE as long as I can.

Convince me.

I have HTPC working perfectly for HD DVD playback under XP SP2.

It is a playback machine which costs me about the same as STB HD DVD box.

Why should I care?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

I totally wouldn't care if Vista or MCE had HD DVD plugin. I am not going to use Vista or MCE as long as I can.

Convince me.

I have HTPC working perfectly for HD DVD playback under XP SP2.

It is a playback machine which costs me about the same as STB HD DVD box.

Why should I care?

I assume you failed to read the first post?

Quote "fully integrate HD DVD playback into Vista Media Center" would be the goal of this plug-in according to that post.

Can you currently do this on XP SP2?
Didn't think so.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I dont understand what the point of this poll is. Even if 100% of the people here voted that there should be an MS plugin, MS isn't going to all of a sudden go make a plugin based on this poll.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/0

I dont understand what the point of this poll is. Even if 100% of the people here voted that there should be an MS plugin, MS isn't going to all of a sudden go make a plugin based on this poll.

mmm, polls are usually made to learn about peoples opinions and then maybe take some actions based on the opinions.

I am sure at least some MS folks are watching this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
LOL, yeah ok. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

mmm, polls are usually made to learn about peoples opinions and then maybe take some actions based on the opinions.

I am sure at least some MS folks are watching this forum.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

I don't know why i's not there already. I mean, DUH, they ARE backing HD-DVD.

Of course it's too much to hope they'll release something for XP. Fine.

I wouldn't mind Vista having native HD DVD support. However, MS would be stomping on Cyberlink and Intervideo by including it in Vista and/or as an add-on to XP. The usual suspects would be bringing up that whole monopoly thing. The EU? Ugh.

But word is this is all good for the customer and freedom of choice.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain /forum/post/0

I wouldn't mind Vista having native HD DVD support. However, MS would be stomping on Cyberlink and Intervideo by including it in Vista and/or as an add-on to XP. The usual suspects would be bringing up that whole monopoly thing. The EU? Ugh.

I disagree. Cyberlink and Intervideo would still be needed for XP users as well as those who also wanted Blu-ray support, not to mention users of Vista Basic and Business Edition. They could also be used to supply OEMs with playback software as well.

I think Microsoft should definitely provide their own HD DVD playback solution for Vista Media Center, just as they've provided DVD playback.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.