·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a recent setup running:

Vista Ultimate SP1+TV Pack+DVD Gallery

Linksys DMA-2100+DVD Gallery

WHS

DVDs ripped using DVDFab and stored on the WHS in \\\\Server\\Videos\\Movies\\DVDName\\Video_ts format

Everything shows up and plays fine in VMC. How do I get the movies to show up and be available on the extender? I know it is not a supported by MS.

There is little info out there about the DMA-2100. The closest I have found to a "guide" is THIS but they are using an xbox360.

From the link:
Quote:
How I Did It
  1. First off I ripped the DVDs to my file server. I'm not going to tell you how to do this.
  2. Next I enabled "DVD Library" which lets you play ripped DVDs on the Vista machine itself in Media Center
  3. Next I got my Xbox 360 to see my Media Center on my Vista (64-bit) box. This was substantially harder than it is for most people as I run a Domain Controller on my home network, plus the files are on a file server, not on my Vista machine (here is a link to the magic for those with their own domain controller).
  4. Once I got it working I was crucially disappointed to see that "DVD Library" did not show up on the Xbox.

The trick to getting "DVD Library" to show up is revealed here. This took me longer than it should because although "DVD Library" showed up on my Xbox soon enough, the only content was the Apollo 13 and Vertigo clips that come with Vista. No amount of me messing with the Extender Settings could change this. However, turns out I was an idiot: pressing the Info key brings up a sub-menu with "Add Movies" on it. Once I did that and added the share from my server, I was in business.

More Info

I created a new share on my server, called DVDs, to separate the kids rips from the general pool. For each desired movie, I made a new directory (whose name is what shows up in the "DVD Library"), and into it I placed:

Folder.jpg - disc artwork borrowed from Amazon, cropped to DVD-shape when required

VIDEO_TS.IFO - zero length file required

The hardest bit: working out which VOBs are the actual movie. For each one, I created a hardlink MPEG from the VOB in the original rip directory.

Foo.wvx - XML file as described in the link above. Only a few elements are supported, described in the Playlist section of this page. The name of this file makes no difference, the extension does though. For each VOB you worked out above, add an Entry/Ref section as described.

I don't understand the "more info" section.

Is there anyway to make this work on a MediaCenterExtender?

The old setup was an xbox running XBMC. It worked great for *.iso movies but the music interface sucked and no HD playback support.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts