AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm currently using Vista Media Center with the MyMovies and MyTV plugins. I'm pretty happy with the way MyMovies automatically pulls cover art and IMDB info, and how MyTV pulls banner art and TV episode information without any intervention on my part.

I've been browsing the Mediaportal site, though, and some of the recent skins look very impressive. My question is how well does Mediaportal play 1080p content (mkv files) and how automated is the process of obtaining cover art and movie/tv program information. The skins are very slick, but if there's a lot of work involved to get your movies and tv shows set up, I may stick with Vista Media Center.

Thanks!!

Kevin

·
Registered
91 Posts
My question is how well does Mediaportal play 1080p content (mkv files)

They seem to be a little easier to play on mediaportal than vista.

It all depends on your computer specs and codecs.

and how automated is the process of obtaining cover art and movie/tv program information. Push a button and it goes to IMDB gets info. done.

Tv info may be a little harder.

The skins are very slick, but if there's a lot of work involved to get your movies and tv shows set up, I may stick with Vista Media Center.

What codecs and specs are you running that you have good luck with vista and media center?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey kkj1961,

Can I get your input I am using MediaPortal currently but since my last upgrade I am getting a bunch of SQL Errors that hang the system.. I have had a Vista Ultimate License sitting around for a few months but I have been traveling too much to get it installed..

In your opinion which is better MCE or MediaPortal?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) how much better?

The only dislike for media portal I ahve except for the new crashing is TV viewing take too long to load is it better with MCE?

Any advice is appreciated.. I spend more time building gaming systems that HTPC's this is all new to me..

·
Banned
274 Posts
I started with VMC and switched to Mediaportal. So far I like mediaportal better. It is easier to get different file type (.mkv, .ts, .flac) to play. That was my main reason for switching.

From what I have read VMC may be nore stable but Mediaportal is pretty good. I havent really had this set-up long enought to comment on that.

Setting up you movies with coverart and fan art is very easy in Mediaportal. I never got to using MyMovies in VMC so I can't comapre. Try the Moving Picture plugin for Mediaportal. It works very good. Looks great too.

I think both have there plus's. You can alway install Mediaportal on Vista machine and try them both.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
If you are "programmer minded", in other words, you have no problem working hard to get basic funcionality (like watching TV), then media portal is for you.

If you are "make the install easy and it just works" minded, they VMC is for you.

Both have their good and bad points. MP is VERY customizable, which is both its strength and its weakness. It does not support as many pieces of hardware as VMC supports, but it also supports more video containers than VMC supports.

I tried it, but I could not get it work play live TV, which is a requirement of mine. It did recognize my DVD rips right away, though.

So if you do not want live TV support, MP should be a better choice than VMC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts